Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gearbox, plates and then engine?

I'm building the rolling chassis while I wait for some engine work and was thinking of fitting the gearbox and it's mounting plates. Will the engine slot in with these in place or is it likely that I'll have to remove one or both when the motor is all done?

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Re: Gearbox, plates and then engine?

It will fit in, just leave the plates loose so that you can slot the engine in a little bit easier, maybe so that you aren't working with too heavy a lump it would pay you to leave the top end off as this weighs a ton on its own. and besides unless you have a proper engine stand you'd find it easier to tighten the base nuts and head bolts without chasing the engine around the work bench. Try to get the bolts for the engine to hand and another person to place the bolts in while you hold the bottom end in place, so that you don't mark the paint whilst trying to wiggle the bolts in whilst holding the bottom end in one hand!

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Hi Lee..If you fit the front engine plates before refitting the engine, pivot them forward on the lower frame stud to give yourself more room to manoevre..but watch out for them hitting the front mudguard if you have that fitted.Also check all the nuts are free on the stud threads before starting....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks for the tips. The old girl is coming along nicely, 1000 jobs down and just a 1000 more to go...

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1