Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Indian Made Tanks

I know many people on this site have a general 'downer' on the current rash of Indian made panels and tanks coming onto the market, but I am seriously looking for a good Matchless G3/WO tank to replace the incorrect G3L one on my old bike and just wondered if anyone has actually had first hand experience of the Indian stuff or are we just assuming it's below par?

Re: Indian Made Tanks

Hi, I've used a few of them, they appear ok, but before you paint them check them for leaks as sometimes they have pin pricks on the welds and also check for fit as the brackets are sometimes a little bit out, but they are pretty accurate on the shape and overall are pretty good value for money. There appear to be 2 types one which has been dreamt up in some Indians imagination with the pivot for the winged BSA type cap, but these are soon removed!

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

I agree with Dave,i bought one for the m20 last year and it was fine.(it needed a good sand down to remove marks in the steel) It does make sense to check for leaks and that the brackets/fittings line up correctly before you paint it. Mick.

I have got 2 Indian BSA tanks, you have to watch the chrome and although the shape is good they are not to accurate on the underside, but with a bit of packing they fit ok, I have one on my 55 B33 and one on my 59 Shooting Star, neither have leaked, of course if you are buying one in a raw state the chroming is not an issue.

Lincoln Bill
I know many people on this site have a general 'downer' on the current rash of Indian made panels and tanks coming onto the market, but I am seriously looking for a good Matchless G3/WO tank to replace the incorrect G3L one on my old bike and just wondered if anyone has actually had first hand experience of the Indian stuff or are we just assuming it's below par?

Make sure it is a G3WO tank, as I don't think they make them!! but they call anything a G3, even if it is a G3L!!

There's still an ongoing discussion about original G3 and G3L tanks, and nobody knows what changed when.

Hope this helps,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

I think there is more than one company producing tanks in India...I had a T120 tank that was beautifully made with all the correct stiffener pressings in the base etc. etc. and it fitted like a glove. More recent experiences with a T100 tank were not so good...The mounting holes were well out of position to the frame brackets and the overall accuracy of the shape and the finish wasn't a patch on the T120 tank.
However, if you think about it, having something as a basis that needs adjustment is better than not having anything....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I thought I'd try one of the Indian made Norton Commando Roadster tanks recently. It arrived in very thick raw steel, very rusty inside. The shape looked nothing like a Roadster tank, more like an 80's Yamaha tank. More square with a flat top than round. It did fit but it wouldn't pass as a Roadster. They got me to forward it to one of there other unsuspecting customers, and they gave me my money back with postage.

The Norton chromed ES2 tank looks good, and it's cheaper to buy than getting an original tank chromed (that has filler in it). The shape looks right but I don't know if I can be bothered with the hassle if it's no good.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Bill, it looks like a G3L tank, but maybe a bit more rounded??

Ask them if they have a sample, and if they can send you a picture of it.

I recently sold a G3WO tank to a forum member here, but if for some reason he doesn't want it, it will be for sale again. but there are about 4? types of G3WO tanks,

1st the panel one, with holes for badges/kneegrips/water deflector.

2nd non panel with holes for badges/kneegrips/water deflector.

3rd holes for kneegrips/water deflector.

4th no holes at all? (last G3 Contracts).

Then there's differences to the underside of the tanks.

Ask John Tinley, he's studying this subject at the moment!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): Welbike@welbike.net

Hi Horror..I know what you mean about the tank shapes..some of the BSA ones don't look quite right even in the photos on the web. Back in the 70's we got a Z900 in the bike shop that had T boned a car at over 90 mph and was basically compressed lengthways..they kind of remind me of the tank on that..shorter and wider than they should be! ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Cheers Lex, That's very interesting. You've seen my tank, I'm fairly sure it's a G3L, but could it not be a late contract G3 tank with no holes? As you know, the bike is from a late contract, what is the difference between the two? I'd hate to change it, sell it on and then find out that it was right all along. I'll get in touch with John Tinley and ask him the same question.

Yes Ian. They've put in a lot of work to make these tanks by hand, very skilled craftsmen, and the gauge of steel is much thicker (on the Commando tank) than the original. It must be a pig to work with. All the tanks they make are the same shape as each other, it's just a shame they've followed a bad pattern. Probably bought the smashed z900 tank as you say

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1