Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
off the topic

hi all i am just wondering what bsa b40 wd are making on the market?
cheers michael

email (option): michael.rutland@hotmail.co.uk

Re: off the topic

Hi Michael..Check out e bay.. 230756388470 ..They are still well behind ww2 bikes in price. I think a couple of thousand will buy you a good runner..and I've seen them for less.
I ran one for a few years and they are basically a good bike. Points to consider are they are very low geared as they are fitted with a 'trials' type gearbox. Many of them have had this replaced so if you want an original one that is a question to ask when looking. With the original gearing the revs are uncomfortably high at normal cruising speeds.
They also had a 20" front wheel so tyre choices are strictly limited. I changed mine to a 21" and used readily available block tread trials tyres.
The original carb was an odd ball (a Zenith if memory serves)..again I changed mine to a Mk1 Amal and put the original on the shelf. Again, many have had the carb replaced.
The full chain enclosure, bag carriers and bags are also VERY hard to find.
On the plus side they are light, have a good frame and forks, an external oil filter as standard and a low compression top end on a pretty good bottom end.
I quite enjoyed mine and the chap I sold it to about 20 years ago still has it so I guess he liked it as well...
Jon Small bought a very nice one last year and if he sees thispost I'm sure he will comment..Despite being the 'poor relative' of the ww2 bikes (along with the TRW Triumph) both bikes have a growing following and prices are on the up...I believe there is an owners club, forum or similar so it might be worth a Google search..also try Milweb..they seem to turn up on there periodically....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

i had one of these for less that a year i found it was a horrible bike to ride

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

the army taught me to ride on one in the early 70's...great stuff.

email (option): chris.astinbarker@btinternet.com

ah cris b we were young then any ride on a motorcycle was wondeful but even then i liked the M20

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Nieuwe pagina 1