Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
White tipped front mudguard

I've seen a few photos where the forward edge of the front mudguard has a white tip. Any idea as to why some bikes have this and some don't?

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Re: White tipped front mudguard

Lee I think the white tips and the white edging to car wings was to give some indication of your presence during the blackout periods in England. Not so necessary for front line motorcycles where a more cammo effect would have been sought. But

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

blackout visibility, though i put the white on for winter riding and it goes green again in the summer,

Thanks Ron & Jon.

White mudguard tips were sometimes seen on BEF motorcycles during the phoney war period and four-wheeled vehicles also often had the front left-hand wing in white (the off-side in France).

In the UK, it was often done by private motorists and cyclists.

I have the impression that later in the war when air superiority had been obtained, it was most often done by CMP Traffic Control. It fitted in nicely with the white blancoed webbing and made them stand out in traffic

The poison gas indicator paint was applied to the front fender tip...

While the indicator paint is not white, it would appear so in b&w photos. Could this be what you are observing?

email (option): teladelujo@msn.com

John Edwards

While the indicator paint is not white, it would appear so in b&w photos. Could this be what you are observing?

That could well be it. Would a 1944 M20 have had gas paint on the mudguard and headlight or just one of them? Or maybe none of them...

I suspect that by 1944, the military was foregoing the application of gas indicator paint... I have no real knowledge on this; best to seek another opinion more expert than mine!

JDE

John Edwards

John, I have seen many wartime pictures with gas indication paint on the headlamps, but never on the front wing tip, do you have any examples??

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

WD instructions for gas paint application did call for a circle or patch of paint on the front mudguard as well as the headlamp..Whether it was actually applied..and if it was what form it took, is another matter!..I must admit from a seated position on the bike you can't really see the top of the mudguard so maybe it was concluded there was not much point in this and it was generally omitted....Another interesting point..did the Brits always use their own yellow (early) or mustard coloured (later) gas detection paint or did they use the green American gas paint as well?..
When or if its use stopped it is another thing for consideration..it could be argued that as the Germans situation worsened in the latter stages of the war, in desperation they might have been more inclined to use gas......Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Alex
John Edwards

John, I have seen many wartime pictures with gas indication paint on the headlamps, but never on the front wing tip, do you have any examples??

Cheers,

Lex

There is a picture of the gas paint on a front fender in the tech section...

http://www.wdbsa.nl/Division_markings/018.jpg

JDE

Ah, John, thanks, had not noticed that before!!

And Ian, do you have a scan of the regulations??

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

It was D day stripe so the Hawker Tempests and Thunderbolts didn't ground attack you!

Nieuwe pagina 1