Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mystery bike on the wetsumping topic

Hi all, sorry to have hijacked that topic, so will continiue here, first the picture again:

And a detail of the badge:

So a lot of people were close, but not 100%, it is in fact one of only about 4 known to exist "Royal Babies" or the Royal Enfield RB, as it was known before the war, maybe 150 made before the war, in 1939.

And indeed a copy of the DKW RT98, as the Dutch importers, Stokvis en Zn. were Jewish, DKW appointed another importer, and the bestselling DKW was sold by another company.

Now as the Dutch constructors from Stokvis had already been heavily involved in the development of the DKW RT98, they took such a machine to England, with a lot of drawings, like this one;

And went first to Velocette, if they could make such a machine, but they declined, as not having the right tooling for such a light machine, and suggested Royal Enfield, who duly made their version of the DKW, and about 120 were delivered to the Netherlands in 1939.

The rest most people know, in 1942 the editor of one of the 2 leading motorcycle magazines, took an RB to the army to be tested, and so the Flying Flea was born!!

I have collected so much information about this bike, that a book will be written in due time.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Re: Mystery bike on the wetsumping topic

AHH HMM, Lex, can you give me a pic shot of the filler cap on your Baby Royal,or perhaps solve this puzzel, as I recently picked up a stange Tank for a flea , with a gap all around the filler cap, just like its been altered, but looks original, Im told its post war, last as built flying flea,It takes the war time cap Ok,and it came from an original flea, but not much left of frame so and cant read frame no,Ileft it at the vendors , but tank sound, But why the gap , Spillage? andrew.h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Re: Mystery bike on the wetsumping topic

Andrew, here some pictures, it is different to the later Flea tank, what do you think?

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Nieuwe pagina 1