The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: its on 2 wheels

Ron Pier
Curt, you could do a lot worse than contact Mike Worthington-Williams from 'Old Bike Mart'. He has a very good liaison with DVLA.

The bike looks great. I also like the colour scheme.

Ron

hi ron, mike is going to get the number back for me, i have a dating cert from bsa, insurance doc from the 50's with this reg no, i will need a leter from a bsa expert,is there anyone on here who could do that, or might try and find someone local to say this bike is correct for the year and all the parts are so as well.curt

email (option): sosalancurtis@aol.com

wow, i love the paint-scheme, combined with the deep valanced guards, large early tank and headlight with the fishtail pipe i think you've got yourself a very handsome bike!

Nick
wow, i love the paint-scheme, combined with the deep valanced guards, large early tank and headlight with the fishtail pipe i think you've got yourself a very handsome bike!

cheers nick, i think i had a bargin on this one, just need to find a few bits, rear number plate and a float chamber, then when i have the reg no back, can get the bike sorted. curt.

email (option): sosalancurtis@aol.com

Curt,

I could send you a letter but I doubt it will be much help. I can cofirm however from looking at the pictures that you have a lot of the original parts for 1939 that are normally missing on a bike of that age. One of the real give aways is the rear stand which is a forged model instead of the later WD tube and lugs model.

Regards,
Leon

email (option): leonhop3@planet.nl

Curt, the factory records for 1939 are still in existence. I'd suggest contacting the VMCC. They have a practised system for providing DVLA acceptable identification and they have the original ledgers to base it on.

Rik
Curt, the factory records for 1939 are still in existence. I'd suggest contacting the VMCC. They have a practised system for providing DVLA acceptable identification and they have the original ledgers to base it on.

hi rick, i have a letter from bsa owners club,with all the bikes details on, so will send that on to see if thats ok, but i think i still need someone to see the bike and put it in writing that its right for the year with the correct parts. like this letter below. curt

imgPhotobucketimg

I think you'll find it must be a proper dating letter. The VMCC is probably the best bet as Rik said, but it will cost you. They will want frame and engine rubbings or photos. You will also need a current MOT on the frame number, and insurance also on the frame number(You tell the MOT station and your ins company the reg when you get it and they will alter the documents). Phone your local DVLA, mines Worcester, and make an appointment for them to see the bike. If you are trying to get the original reg, you need to find out if the number is still available from DVLA as any good ones are sold off, and you will need all the proof you've got to go with it.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

No I think Curt has a dating letter. This happened to me when I reclaimed the number for my 38 Speedtwin. I had a dating letter from the TOC. But I still had to get my local motorcycle shop to inspect the bike and give a written report. I actually paid the guy to visit my shed. After all, the TOC had given me a dating letter, purely on what I had told them. To reclaim an original number, the bike doesn't have to be road worthy....just more or less complete. Not so if you are asking for an age related registration. The bike them must have an MOT (against the frame number) and insurance. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi,Curt you need DVLA form V765 to retain a original number,also DVLA has a list of approved people who inspect your bike, they send off the paperwork for you ,best take engine /frame number rubbings with you! (the local bike museum did one of mine) they may charge a small sum but this is usually cheaper than owners clubs who just give out dating certificates. Also when you fill in forms put unlicenced in taxation class box as this will keep DVLA of your back regarding SORN,once you have bike up and running & mot,d with insurance just go to local DVLA office to get your tax disc they will then change taxation class to historic. Good luck Dave..

cheers for the info dave, have now put it all together, had,found an old number plate in my barn which will do for now, geting alan swainson to make one from a cardboard template i sent him,anythink is better than nothing, added a few more pics.will need to find some parts for it as the one the footrests are bend on the shaft,and i will need a float bowl, have found the correct mt110 rear light, with out paying a ramsom for it. just waiting for the speedo to come back..curt.

imgPhotobucketimg

hi all, have now got a v5c, i took the bike to the well known British restorer, who did the bsa a10 posted in another post. i would have thought he would have have a good knowledge of bsa motorcycles, also his shop is not to far from me, i took with me a copy of parts book, good job i did, when he looked at it , he said its got the wrong handlebars on, wrong mag,the tax disc holder, he thought was a mirror, also thought horn and speedo was from the 1950's, i was getting a bit worried, but he said he would do the letter, which was also wrong, and had to ask him to do it again, and had to set it out for him. but we got there in the end. can get it sorted now...curt

Nieuwe pagina 1