Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
M20 etc speedo

Morning all,
just received a nice pre-war Chronometric speedo (no trip dial, no illumination light hole) and the brass bezel is pinned by what appears to be a 1/4" stud inserted and cut off flush. It's half in the bezel and half in the speedo body.
Before I assume that it's only someone's bodge and done to keep a knackered thread bezel from unscrewing and so perfectly OK to take a hacksaw to it, I'd just thought I'd check to make sure it's not some one-year-only mod and there's an easy removal tip.
Also, I have a front hub speedo drive identical to the one fitted to the (Ron Pier's?) M20 shown here recently, other than mine is the wrong rotation, ie, I need one as in the M20 pic. Anyone want to swap or trade for the "right" one?

email (option): kevin.sandford@ntlworld.com

Re: M20 etc speedo

Kev that is a WD feature. They put an anti tamper seal in the edge of the bezel. If you look closely with a magnifying glass you might see some markings on it.
Sadly for you, the wrong rotation drives are common....Not so the M20 drives. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks Ron, so how do I get the bezel off? Is there an established way before I break out the hacksaw?

You could carefully remove the top edge of it with a dremel, just enough to let the bezel turn.

Here's a NOS one I've just taken out the box.

Photobucket

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Or maybe drill the centre out with a small drill. You might be able to save it as a piece of original history.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

The small disk on mine was stamped "Smiths" and the disk was retained with a small aluminum rivet. You can drill out the rivet and save the disk, I carefully pried mine out as I was not sure how it was fastened. I made a new rivet and then remounted the disk after servicing my speedo.

email (option): jrosson86@att.net

Thanks Joe, that looks the way to go. I would leave it alone but there's a rusty mark inside the glass, plus the needle is very dull.
Cheers.

Nieuwe pagina 1