Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Speedo question

Hi all

Yesterday I saw a WD speedo with a yellow indicator line where all others I have seen to date have been white

Any idea if this dates the speedo

It was a smiths unit as far as I could see

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Re: Speedo question

The yellow line was used pre-war and as far as I can tell was used on all the Jaeger drive units with 'Jaeger patent' and no serial numbers on the dial up until late 1940 or early 1941.

Did it have the clip fixing for the thick cable or the later screw type ?

Hi rik

It had a screw on fitting like normal - haven't seen this clip arrangement before ??

The yellow line was a first for me

Good news it was for fitting to a 1940 bike

:-)

Did you buy it then John ?

It might be that the unit is a composite of several or there may have been an intermediate type. It's not really documented.

This is mine :-

Photobucket

All the yellow line dials that I've seen have been steel rather than brass which probably accounts for them being uncommon. They are prone to rust staining at best or metal moth if they get water in them.

John, here is the pre war type Jaeger on my C10. It even has trip and illumination. Ron

Photobucket

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Here's mine..

Photobucket

email (option): ferrarakias@hotmail.com

Hi Rick

I didnt buy it but my friend did, he had no speedo and an 1940 deluxe m20 to fit it to.

at kempton there was a recon/exchange unit at £140 but as my friend didnt have an odl unit to exchange, the price of £175 seemed a good price considering he would have to pay through the nose to get a non functioning one. Then to ship from outside the UK to have it reworked - I thought overall £175 was a good to go price especially after what we have seen in recent times on e bay

Rik, you are the fountain of knowledge, i have learned once again from your rivetness

Koatsas, great photos, now Its clear concerning the jaeger arrangement - something I have never really noted - being a BSA man :-)
Best Regards & Thanks

JO'B

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

So its got nothing to go with strapping it down in a glider then!

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Am just working on a couple of the Jeager types, and from looking at an original '39 dated military one, the bezel is originally matt chrome, not plain brass, and has the pointy bezel too, not rounded off. it has a alu. plate underneath with the date on it.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Hi John,

All pre war Beesas used the Jaeger clip fitting speedo. On my civy 1940 C11 is has the normal square cable type with trip and backlight though. The bezels come in a variety of types including a very slim one with hardly any protuding ridge.

Regards,
Leon

email (option): leonhop3@planet.nl

Learning all the time

:-)

Just to confirm what Lex says. Not terribly good quality dull chrome. No sign of the security rivet on the early ones either.

Pre-war dated specification plates are invariably ali. They seem to have become brass in 1941 or so, in the same way as the magdyno plates.

The date plate on my 1940 speedo is definitely brass!

Sorry to drag up an old thread but when did Smiths start putting the serial number on their WD speedos? I have a speedo with the yellow stripe, Jaeger patent and serial no S 433.M.

email (option): spacemonkeym@gmail.com

with the price of these speedo going up and up you either got to weld them on or do what i did when i parked it at a show not on display i took it off and put it in my haversack i was carrying i had 2 things nicked over the last few years a damper knob and a complete number plate and light

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Nieuwe pagina 1