Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 1939 pics

chris,i think it just top line. curt

email (option): sosalancurtis@aol.com

Hi Curt, Very nice project with a lot of rare parts still there. Even the little side stand is there and the complete panel (think the ammeter is not original and the switch need another knob, but otherwise very nice)

I am working on a KM21 at the moment (frame KM20-1850 / engine KM21-431) and the frame looks very similar. If it was my project I would consider the already applied powder coating as a primer and concentrate only on the mechanical side of the project first, put all the parts needed for a bare testride together and of course replace what is necessary. Leave the mudguards/chaincases and other tinware till later. During the testride you will find out if everything works OK, if the bike corners well, if you can ride with your hands off, if the brakes are good enough, if the engine and gearbox are fine, etc.etc. If not you can change things without bothering about the finish and you don't get obstructed by the tinware. If it rides OK then put on the tinware and make a few more testrides. When your completely satisfied take it apart and get the paintjob/chromework done. After that comes the most satisfying job: putting all the parts together again while knowing that everything fits and that the bike will run fine ....! It seems like a lot of double assembly work but of course the engine, gearbox, clutch etc. don't have to be pulled apart again and the stripping can be done in a few hours. It will save you destroying finished paintwork and you will only have to do one(large) paintjob.

Good luck with your project, Regards, Michiel / Holland

email (option): m.wijbenga@hotmail.com

michiel, thanks for the info,thats very helpfull, will do just that i think, i have a friend who's a good painter,and over paints on top of the powder coat,and it comes out great. if any body wants more pics of any parts , just ask. curt

email (option): sosalancurtis@aol.com

got it now, great pics...i may need to ask for measurements in the near future to help with my km23 ...

email (option): chris.astinbarker@btinternet.com

Nieuwe pagina 1