Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"Tipped up" silencer

Hi all,
Could any one give a definitive date as to when the tipped up type silencer was fitted? The various parts books all give the part number 66-2944, but the civilian books up to 1940 show a straight type, with the WD and post war up to 49 show the tipped up type.
Yet, there are wartime photos of m20s with both! I'm confused!
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Re: "Tipped up" silencer

Good question Mick unfortunately I have no good answer. Just the early bike seems to had them but up until when, I don't know.

It seems we had them made wrong as they originally had a sleeve between the exhaust pipe and silencer. I do like these tipped up silencers.

Henk

Photobucket

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

The sleeve seems superfluous?

I guess the exhaust pipe diameter and the inlet diameter of the silencer were the same and the sleeve fitted over the outside?...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Rob Miller might know that answer to that one, I know he had such a sleeve.

Henk

Is it possible they fitted the straight silencer with the introduction of panniers? Henk, do you have any pics with panniers and tipped up silencers?
Cheers, Mick.

Tip-up silencer with panniers fitted!

Line drawing WDM20, Line drawing WDM20

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

This one seems to have one.

Henk

BSA

Next theory please!

henk your comment seem to say that there is a photo attached if so it is not showing on the forum

I can see it. Try refreshing the page Roger. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

thanks ron it worked i am using a new laptop i brought myself for chrissie so i would have thought it was fresh

Hi All

I understand that Armours make the downpipe and tipped up silencer, both Henk's and Ron's bike have them from memory. Do Armours latest offerings fit from the factory, or does the silencer inlet have to be modified to the correct angle?

I want to put one on my bike, but don't really want to spend time having stainless welded. Any idea?

Cheers

Slim Jon
Hi All

I understand that Armours make the downpipe and tipped up silencer, both Henk's and Ron's bike have them from memory. Do Armours latest offerings fit from the factory, or does the silencer inlet have to be modified to the correct angle?

I want to put one on my bike, but don't really want to spend time having stainless welded. Any idea?

Cheers

Quote Reply Re: Exhaust and primary cover paint? - recent thread

Here is the quote for the ss exhaust system I bought in November from Armours..... came "tipped up", no sleeving, no welding, bolt-on.....

BSA WM20
> We can supply a stainless steel exhaust set either polished or unpolished.
> Price B13G exhaust pipe for bike with girder forks £
> 75.00 (polished)
>
> £ 65.00 (unpolished)
> SB13RWD silencer (rigid suspension)
> £ 100.00 (polished)
>
> £ 90.00 (unpolished)
>
> Shipping to USA add £ 60.00
>
> Regards Armours
> Armour Motor Products (Bournemouth) Ltd.

Cheers,

JDE
email (option): teladelujo@msn.com

email (option): teladelujo@msn.com

Jon. I took one of Armours standard stainless silencers and modified the front spout to give about a 7 degree tip up. I got it professionally welded locally.
It is this tipped up silencer that Armours have copied and added to their catalogue. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks John & Ron

I remembered that Ron's one needed some attention. Looks like Armours have now understood what's needed for the WM20.

I shall now feel confident to buy one....

Armours now make both the straight and angled version. Unfortunately they both have the same part number. If you want the tipped up type, make sure you ask for the Ron Pier version, they will know what you mean!

Nieuwe pagina 1