Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
battery case update

Now Xmas and the New Year are out of the way this is just a brief update to inform anyone who has ordered a battery case that they will all be posted tomorrow...so expect them soon.
I have 2x1940 boxes and 3x1944 boxes left from this batch so if anyone else requires one mail me....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: battery case update

Mine came in today. Looks great and fits perfectly. Thanks Ian.

email (option): v8zspeed@yahoo.com

Me too, Marvellous. Looks just the part and fits perfectly thanks Ian.

as an aside, my Matchless still has the original wartime battery on ( Dad thinks I should put the charger on it and see whether it hold charge!) . Its an Exide I think. Slightly different in appearance. Do you have any of those? I can photograph it if you like.

email (option): andrew.honychurch@btinternet.com

I got one from the last batch, looks great, thanks Ian.Keep em coming!

email (option): vinver@ns.sympaticodotca

Thanks for your positive comments. Regarding your other battery Andrew I can't help there as I only do the WD type. However, most of the other battery cases are replicated by other suppliers..I would try an e bay search for battery cases..you may see what you need.
It is possible the bike has had a 'civvy' battery fitted, unless it has specific WD markings...Ian

PS..If it does have specific WD markings but of a different pattern to the one I produce then unfortunately there is no replica made...Ian

All the RAOC LV7 lists that I've examined indicate the Lucas PUW7-E (6v 12A) as the standard battery. (This is the one that Ian replicates).

Many pre-war machines were supplied with five-cell Ni-Fe batteries and I belive that they were commonly made by Exide.

It seems likely that war-time rationalisation meant that Exide concentrated on batteries for applications other than motorcycles.

Batteries of the period didn't last all that long and there is a good chance that machines sold on the private market were fitted with new ones.

If you want to use the Exide and it is no longer functioning then you can hollow out the case and effectively arrive at what Ian sells. There will then be space to hide a modern unit such as an ATM type.

All the evidence suggests that WD batteries were finished in the current service colour but best not painted at the same time as the bike as it shouldn't look as if it came from the same factory.

i wondered about hollowing out the original battery but was not sure how to start. Its usually one of those jobs that you spend 3 or 4 hours on and then crack it when you are just about to finish the job! I will take a look at though. thanks

email (option): andrew.honychurch@btinternet.com

Andrew I have hollowed out old Bakelite batteries by heating a normal wallpaper scraper with a blow lamp to penetrate the bitumen.......I have also f*cked them up whilst trying. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I suppose it's worth a go..otherwise it's just a lump of scrap. Nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that...Ian

I've recently hollowed out my old battery, very carefully with a drill, a screwdriver and a pair of wire cutters. Remember to wash out the battery as much as possible to avoid flicking acid, and wear old clothes and glasses..!
Don't lever on the sides as they will crack, but use the drill to break up the plates and the cutters to slowly and steadily cut away the dividing sections. Eventually the blocks of plates came out in one piece (what was left of them). Then I carefully trimmed away the dividing sections until they were nearly gone. If it's not going well, walk away and do it another day. It took me a few days.

Typical really as I've just bought one of Ian's cases which are just the job. Some of the cases you see at the jumbles are a bit too flexible and some just don't look right, but these one's are brilliant.

I'm reluctant to spray it green now though

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

My battery has arrived also. I've sprayed it a different green to my G3....To make it look like it's just been supplied from stores. Ron

Photobucket

Hi Horror...Glad you like the box..I know what you mean about painting them...I've had them for a few years on 4 different bikes and still haven't be able to bring myself to paint one. It's partially because I am concerned about the paint flaking off..any one got any tips about the right primer (or etch primer) to use on this sort of material?.(could be a question for you Lee)..Ian

I'm glad you've asked this question, I was about to ask the same thing. I've noticed the plastic case looks greasy but I didn't want to wipe it with thinners in case it stained or melted the plastic.

Hi Horror..the 'greasiness' is the releasing agent from the moulding machine. I think someone mentioned they had rubbed down the case with some wet and dry before applying the paint..but I don't recall anyone mentioning the primer used...I know there are specific primers for plastics etc. but don't know anything about them...I'm sure someone will enlighten us..Ian

A little paint loss makes it more and more original.

Henk

Photobucket

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

I just wiped mine over with thinners, then sprayed it with synthetic Khaki Green. I did the one on my M20 a while ago which still looks OK. If the paint falls off? It's not the end of the Earth, I'll just redo it.
I wonder if they used any form of primer on the original Bakelite batteries? Ron

I'm just a 'fuss ass'...next thing Henk will be telling me I need barnacles to make it look more original.. ..'Originally' it came out of a Lucas box with a lovely undamaged paint finish.. ...Ian

I know where to park your bike for a while to get these zeepokken.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Did Lucas supply them already painted green?

Horror
Did Lucas supply them already painted green?

It would seem likely. Lucas were certainly supplying their other parts such as headlamps and CVC boxes in service colour.

With the three differing wartime colours, it would probably be quite accurate to find an SCC No.2 battery on a KG No.3 motorcycle

Hi Horror...I bought 3 original NOS lids, still sealed in their original packing. 2 were brown/green and 1 was Desert colour...Ian

Ok, out with the tin of green paint it is then

Nieuwe pagina 1