Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
NOS speedo sticky

My new Smiths Speedo is very sticky,I tried to spin it but it feels very hard to turn. I expect the old grease inside is hardened up and needs to be cleaned out. I've heard that modern lubricants won't gum up or harden so it should be cleand out and re-lubed, but I don't want to break the seal. It still has the original circular seal ont he side with Smiths MA stamped on it.
Damn, what should I do?
Vince
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

Re: NOS speedo sticky

Bin it, Vince. The bezel is brass so it'll be worth something for scrap !

If you want reliable operation then I think that you have no option but to open it. Any solvent strong enough to soften the grease will destroy the markings on the dial so the rivet is really the lesser of two evils.

Is it not possible to carefully drill the centre, saving the sealing disc for re-use ?

Yeah, I suppose if it doesn't work I may as well just toss it!
I put a pair of pliers on that disc, but it won't turn, I suspect it was peened in place. Supposed to be tamper proof. I suppose I may be able to grind the top with a Dremel and try to either drift the rivet inward or drill it out, it would be nice to have back in place.
I don't know if Nisonger's can replace the seal if I send it in for a regrease, but may be worth looking into. (rather than throwing it away)
Vince

Hey Vince, if you are careful you can run a small drill through the centre of the rivet and save the disc. On the ones I've done the part with MA stamped on is the actual rivet head, rather than a seperate disc. This can then be superglued back once the repair is done.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

If it comes to it and you do have to scrap it the Ghandis do a really nice replica ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian Wright
If it comes to it and you do have to scrap it the Ghandis do a really nice replica ...Ian

Just to confirm Ian's (lack of) faith in the replica's, I did a GPS check on a replica (non) Chronometric at the weekend. Accurate from 0 - 70 kph, but indicated 90 kph was actually 100 kph. Whereas the real chrono on my 16H was spot on.
If anyone has an in headlamp type chrono for a 1960 Norton ES2 which needs a new home don't be afraid to speak up.
Iain.

I may just give the cable input spigot a soak then spin with the drill, hopefully avoiding any solvent inside the works. The original speedo is pretty rough, needle is all bent up and case pretty rusty. I'll probably send it off for repair and try the NOS one in the meantime, or send them both away for repair/ inspection. Probably won't have the bike done before spring now anyway, so some time to think about my next move.
Vincent

Any idea what a good drill size might be to remove that center rivet shaft?

thanks,

Kevin

Nieuwe pagina 1