Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tax disc question for WD vehicles?

A while ago I bought one of these green Raydyot tax disc holders in the military packaging . e-Bay # 400250103625 , for 15 pounds, I see they are now listed for 25. Since we do not have a suitable place for a Nova Scotia safety inspection sticker (an annual necessary evil for motorcycles, kind of like the UK tax disc) it will fit/work well for me. My question then, is what date would this green tax disc holder have been produced? I would think it must be 1960's or thereabouts, how far back would a tax disc have been fitted to military vehicles?
Vince

email (option): vinveratns.sympatico.ca

Re: Tax disc question for WD vehicles?

Vince, I'm not sure of the date that tax discs were not required for MV's. Sometime early in the war though. Here is a factory picture of a 1940 Military C10. The tax disc holder is attached to the handlebar on a little stalk. I have seen these before on motorcycles. Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Vince

As Ron says tax discs were discontinued in the early part of the war on "Army" vehicles presumably around 1940 and at the same time as the removal of the civilian registration number.

But other government run deparments such as the RAF and Post Office (GPO) then issued a "Defence of the Realm" certificate which was carried in a tax disc holder. There was also an Army Defence of the Realm certificate used on impressed vehicles but I'm not sure how long this continued.

It gets more complicated because the Ministry of Supply moved vehicles from one department to another as needed, quite a few Army BSA C10s for example were later passed onto the GPO.

Rob.

RAF Defence of the Realm certificate

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

you still can buy these raydot type tax disc holder from most motorcycle/scooter shops for a quater of the price and cheaper for rusty one at bike jumbles rusty ones are better because the paint stick to them better less flaking

email (option): roger.back@node6.com

Here in Canada (Nova Scotia) we have self-adhesive safety inspection stickers, for autos they stick inside the windshield, for motorcycles they have adhesive on the reverse to stick to lower fork legs. Of course these 3 inch square stickers have no place to go on a girder fork bike, so a lot of the classic guys make up a plate or use a tax disc to mount the safety sticker. I have chrome and a stainless ones already, but the green WD one looks more correct for the application. Sure they are available cheaper, but I'd still have to pay shipping as they aren't available in Canada.
Vince

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

I have found an interesting document which goes a little way to explain the "Defence of the Realm Certificate" which appears to have several official names. The other pages are all non vehicle related.

photo Image3_zpstwd4ciry.jpg

This is the Army version of the Air ministry disc shown above. Although its mentioned in a Home Guard document it does say "Every WD Vehicle" so this appears to be the Home Guard following standard War Department rules.

This is an amendment so prior to October 1943 the disc may have been fitted in a tax disc holder so I'm looking for the original pre amended manual if any has one.

As far as I can see these were only used in the UK?

Army Defence of he Realm cerificate photo Image2-3.jpg

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Interesting, Rob and congratulations on reviving a four-year-old thread !

A rivet-counter never forgets !

Not sure if this is actually correct, BUT, I've got a "tax disc" on my bike that has an overlay on it that says "WAR SERVICE" in black bold, but otherwise, it is a standard 1942 tax disc.

http://static.wixstatic.com/media/69268c_97150f32e2ea4bec8b179ed4ef02a4d2.jpg_srz_p_596_446_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

email (option): fozzie001@hotmail.com

Hi Ian

I can't get your link to work?

I have seen the disc's you mention, I was under the impression they were made up by one of the repro tax disc makers in the last 20 years, but I could be wrong?

Rob

Rob,

Don't let Ron see you saying you might be wrong about the tax discs after the ribbing you gave him about his 'war department' disc on his Enfield.

There's some great picture of you and your M on the Devon MVT.

All the best

email (option): T58white@hotmail.com

Hi Ross

Ron likes it when we notice anything wrong with his bikes

But with these "On War Service" discs there is a vague possibility it did happen for a short period in the early part of the war before the defence of the realm certificate was thought up, its just that there doesn't appear to be any evidence. I wish it was true, but I suspect its just a repro tax disc dealer who has found another way to print money.

Rob

Hi Rob,

There does seem to be a fair bit of the, ' this is actually what they would of had' , attitude about from dealers and people can easly be relieved of there hard earnt cash.

This topic has interested me and your input to it Rob has been most helpful.

All the best

Ross

email (option): T58white@hotmail.com

Rob, The question of 'Defence of the Realm' discs has come up on the Facebook British Army Jeep group. Do you still have that document referring to them ? Unfortunately the Photobucket scam has done away with your images.

email (option): 79x100@gmail.com

Hi Rik

Here it is, feel free to repost anywhere you like.

I will email it to you as well.

Rob

hg_regs
gif upload 20mb

Cheers Rob

email (option): 79x100@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1