Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Royal Enfield WD/C clutch question

OK, I am working on putting the jigsaw called a WD/C together. Or the parts I have anyway.
Right now I am looking at the primary chain cover, front sprokets and clutch.
OK. How does the primary cover mount. Looks to be on bolt on the crankcase and then 2 tabs that rest of the gearbox mounts. Is this correct?
Second. I have a feeling that the clutch assembly may be wrong. First the top plate has a hole in the center. This doesn't seem correct as the realease rod would go through it. Second, the splines line up between the hub and the output shaft but the hub is loose. THere was a nut inside the clutch pack when I disassebled, but it is too large for the gearbox output shaft. Third the sprokets don't line up. Not even close. About an 1" offset.
The splines look to be in decent condition. You can see on one of the pictures the size difference between the hub and shaft.
Can someone tell me how to determine whether this is the wrong clutch pack for the bike.
Thanks

email (option): v8zspeed@yahoo.com

Re: Royal Enfield WD/C clutch question

Hi Jesse,

1) That's correct!

2) Looks like you've got a WD/CO clutch there. It looks identical, but the shaft dimensions are slightly bigger...

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Ok. wrong clutch. would that account for the offset? also should it have the hole in the top plate?

I have no idea if this may be the cause of the misalignment. Anyway, there's no such hole in my clutch plate...

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Jan, thanks. I will look into the correct clutch. I am thinking the hole is wrong, as the pushrod should push against the top plate to dis-engage the clutch. The hole is larger than the hole in the input shaft, so the rod would go all the way through and not do it's job.

Unfortunately I don't seem to have taken pictures of the clutches in my C or CO. But if you Google 'Hitchcock's Motorcycles' Go to there parts books on line and check the 1945/46 CO. The pictures there will help. You might be able to get a reprint manual/parts list from Rob Van Meel (Google). Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hey Jesse,

Looks like you may have a Burman (AJS & Matchless) clutch there instead of an RE clutch. The bikes came with either, depending on year.

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Jesse I have been looking at my C and CO parts lists. The Clutch Drums are the same part No G68/123 as is the clutch basket and sprocket ass. 27535. But the clutch centre differs ie WDC = G69 WDCO = G69A. You definitely shouldn't have a hole in the lift plate. It may be as Robb suggests that you have a Matchy clutch. There was a contract of 3000 CO's (only) fitted with Burman box's (WD/CO/B) More likely I feel is that you have a post war Enfield clutch??
Somehow though your engine sprocket looks to be spaced out too far (I am probably wrong though. And yes your inner chaincase is fixed by one bolt in crankcase and the top and bottom gearbox studs.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1