Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wobbly Clutch!

another problem of working without a Workshop Manual ( which one and where can I get one ?) is that you dont really know what to expect, but having dismantled the clutch today, I was met with a bit of a wobbly set up. by which I mean the whole clutch housing could wobble a bit and the collar nut had a strange adaption on, see the photo. When I did take of the nut, the inside thread was pretty much non existent and the whole cluthc housing fell off dropping a load of barrel bearings on the floor! Oh dear. Does this sound correct ? I am still awaiting delivery of a puller so that I can remove the collar and continue the strip down.

Sorry about the grubby thumb!
Photobucket

email (option): andrew.honychurch@btinternet.com

Re: Wobbly Clutch!

hi andrew,those four adjusting screws look to be a previous attempt to get the clutch running true ,by adjusting the four screws and then locking the locknuts.im no expert ,and its 41 years since i stripped one of these,it sounds to me that the basket was already worn out when the previous attempt was made to correct it,the barrell shaped rollers should be cylindrical,looks like all the play has let them wear unevenly.when i unscrewed my nut all those years ago ,it nearly removed my nuts as i was sat on the shed step at the right height .this also stripped some of the threads from the nut,yours however is probably wear,due to the unequal forces caused by those adjusters.an old army chap told me ,to safely remove the nut you can screw a bolt down the centre of the shaft with appropriate bar or washer to hold the tension in the spring as you remove it backing off the nut and bolt as you go .he told me the army emergency way was to use the back brake rod as this is the same thread.i think you may need some new parts.cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Hey Rick, thanks for the reply. Firstly, by "barrel" I meant cylinder barrel rather than beer barrel so my rollers would appear to be ok, if I can find them all! not sure how many are meant to be there. But you are correct , I think I am going to need some new parts, this definitely looks like a codge up for some reason. Even when the nut was done up tight it allowed an ammount of "float" on the whole clutch assembly. What I am trying to work out is whether that is normal, which I doubt, or the result of wear. The nut had worn all its threads on the inner most end. Not sure what the bolts and lock nuts were for, unless as you say to somehow balance it up? Weird.

i got a NOS centre hub and the best outer bearing on the clutch basket used 1/4" rollers not the mm ones as they are slightly smaller 22 of them the flatest single spring i could find and even then there is still a small amount of wobble i also have taken 1 steel and 1 friction plate out at the moment so it doesnt crunch when selecting gears when stationary those 4 threaded bits with lock nuts on are an atempt to level the spring

Andrew as already mentioned. Add Russell motors and Draganfly to your phone book also C&D Autos.
Have a trawl through the technical page on this site for tips on clutch assembly by Hans. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Andrew, The modification to the clutch nut to allow variable pressure around the circumference of the clutch spring was a REME mod to ease the set up of the clutch lift. As standard it was non adjustable so there was no adjustment for uneven lift.
The ends of the clutch spring were ground parallel when manufactured. However, even with a new spring the clutch would sometimes lift unevenly. With use the springs tend to 'settle' with the ends out of square and then lift is always uneven.
Wear of the clutch bearing race, clutch sleeve, roller bearings and the back of the clutch center all contribute to the 'tilt' and 'fore and aft' movement of the sprocket which will be apparent even with everything fully assembled and tightened.
Substitution with new components is the only way to reduce/eliminate this movement, the exception being the clutch centre which can be machined out on the rear to reduce the 'fore and aft' aspect of the play.
However, you will need ready access to a lathe to carry out this work as there is usually a degree of trial and error involved.
I know until recently Russel motors still had new clutch sleeves, and rollers are readily available. So are new clutch springs and nuts, plates and clutch centers..
Clutch sprockets, which include the outer bearing track are no longer available to my knowledge.
There is some information in the tech section by Hans and myself which is relevant...but you should buy yourself the appropriate worksheets/manual sooner rather than later to avoid 'poking about in the dark'..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

ian when you say clutch sleeve do you mean the bearing outer that is pushed fitted to the back of the clutch basket the one i got was as new size when measured with a vernier gauge the center hub was NOS from russels but still had a little bit of wobble it work fine with a set of plates taken out no crunch of gears

Gosh, thanks guys, as always great information. I may consider using the REME mod again, as its plain to understand what it was trying to achieve although not too clear how to set it up. I guess a dial gauge could be used. I will take another look at everything and have a sort through of what to use again. I am looking for a workshop manual as we speak.

Hi Roger..the clutch sleeve is the part that fits to the gearbox mainshaft and carries the clutch...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Andrew. Google 'Rob Van Meel'. Have a look at his reprint military manual site where you can order on line. You'll also probably see books for your other vehicles if required. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

thanks Ron, I will do right now. cheers Andrew

does it matter, by the way which steel plate you take out? If you take one steel and one fabric, as per Rons recommendation, all ok I assume?

I got outer race honed to take 7mm rollers

thats useful information. Thanks very much I will consider that. andrew

Nieuwe pagina 1