Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tank liners ethanol etc

Hello All
What is the general thoughts of members on tank lining.
I am building my Wm20 from parts I have a tank,(pretty sure off a Empire star but it fits for now). It is internally very clean , I was going clean it internally by electrolysis .
Do I really need to line it, as it sounds like more trouble than it is worth?
Regarding E10 we have had it here in Australia for a couple of years, I have not heard of any issues with it, I have a 1977 LX Torana SLR 5000 and 1979 HZ 1Tonner both 5 liter V8's or 308 cubic inch engines and both have no problems. The tonner does have hardened valve seats as I run it mostly on LPG gas, but this should not make a difference to the Yankie built zincalloy Rochester carbies, and there is no corrosion in them.
So do I need a lining in my tank and do I just use high octane petrol?
Cheers Darren

email (option): Darrenacartwright@yahoo.com.au

Re: Tank liners ethanol etc

I am rebuilding my M20 this winter and that involves a change of petrol tank. The tank I am going to use has been de-dented, internally blasted and pressure tested after welding up the small hole in the base that was required to access the dents.
It is 'clean as a whistle' inside and I am not planning to apply a sealant.
However, after a few months use I will probably drain the tank and give it a good look over to ensure there aren't any early signs of corrosion problems..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

As I hear, Caswell makes a phenolic?? epoxy resin for tank lining, which is impervious to ethanol.
Downside, it is somewhat brittle and wil chip out if the tank gets dented. It is ecommended for fibreglass tanks.
In Canada, there's a product called Kream which apparently is NOt ethanol compatible, and flakes out on a regular basis.
Ian, you mentioned you had your tank blasted- soda, sand , glass beads? What about an acid etch type product, that would neutralize rust? The Kream kit comes in three parts, first step is an acid flush.
Vincent

email (option): bsa3man@rocketmail.com

Hi Vince...I believe any remaining rust (if there is any) can be converted using a simple acid wash. This has been described in previous postings but I can't remember the acid type or concentration off hand.(phosphoric acid?).
The tank was blasted with aluminium oxide grit which is effective but not harsh on steel surfaces..in fact it won't affect aluminium or steel dimensionally and won't damage threads etc. On aluminium I use this before finishing with glass bead...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Gents
Yes it is Phosphoric acid, usually you spray it on. In the case of a tank you would have to swish it around. But you have to neutralize it with water. It also leaves a black/blue coating which may wash off in petrol. I don't know how it would affect running of the motor.
Electrolysis is a simple process using washing soda a 12 volt battery charger and an anode, it leaves no reside and will not destroy the base metal. I use it regulary on offer metal with great results but you do need to rub the rust away steel wool or scotch brite after the process. Citric acid and vinegar also remove rust well but not quite as well. Molasses will do it but eats the base metal and will strip threads.
It sounds safer to swish some sand around my tank and a couple of drops of oil to my petrol than use a liner . Maybe getting it chrome plated would be better!?!?

email (option): Darrenacartwright@yahoo.com.au

Nieuwe pagina 1