Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
dynamo E 3LM

The resistance of the field coil is 2,8 Ohms. My coil gives 2 Ohms On the workbench and using a drill I seem to get an output of 9 V.
Which part do I have to replace ?
Thanks for any help.

John

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

Re: dynamo E 3LM

Hey John, a good dynamo will always chuck out more than six volts, thats why you have a regulator.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Hi John.. A short dynamo in good fettle should make 12-16volts when spun up with a drill. I would suspect an armature problem as the field coils are fairly robust (that is unless the field coil is burnt/damaged).To test the field coil connect a fully charged 6 volt battery with an ammeter in series across the coil. The resulting reading should be approx. 1.9 Amps. You will also need to check that the coil is not earthed to the yoke..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Ian

I follow your advise,but because my battery is faulty (only gives 4 Volts), I used a batterycharger
So I got 8 Volts on my multimeter, but no Amps. Hope I did the right thing using a charger.

John

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

Hi Johan,

Battery charger usually restrict the current AND the voltage in order not to "Boil" the battery.

You can check what is the maximum current (Amp) of your charger by momentarily (As it function as a short-circuit) check the current directly on its output ports.

In order to measure Voltage (Volts) you need to contact a Voltmeter in parallel to the tested ports,
While in order to test Current (Amps) you should hook it SERIALLY to the circuit, and usually change the port the wire is connected to your meter.
(Would usually mark "I, 10 Amp max")
on your multitester.

Noam.

email (option): Zehavi

Bridge the F&D across the genny terminals with a piece of wire and then connect A taillight globe or a headlight globe to the the bridged wire and the other globe connection to body of the genny. Spin it up and if it glows you're good to go.

Nieuwe pagina 1