Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Frightening bad news for John Tinley!!

After getting his Model X outfit MOT'd last Friday. Look what happened on the way home. Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: Frightening bad news for John Tinley!!

Bummer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

email (option): cliveandjo@lineone.net

What's the origin of that broken link arm, is it an original part or new made ?
Regards Gary

Well John told me he's going to be looking closer at theses 70 year old parts in future for metal fatique.

Ron

John if I can help you with Parts leth me know!
Cheers
Bram

email (option): Bram@Ockhuizen.com

I hope nobody was hurt. Sorry to see that, a lovely looking bike too. Maybe get a nice set of "made in India" forks, whoops

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

I know it would be a cost but when it comes to these sort of parts and the age of them I wonder if non destructive testing like they use on historic aircraft might be the way forward.
Cost set against broken limbs (even though they can be fixed on the NHS free at the moment) has got to be considered!
Best of luck on the repairs.
Regards
Clive

email (option): cliveandjo@lineone.net

Already John has repaired his forks and is back on track for Normandy Ron

Photobucket

(Some of us don't have access to the NHS although they tell us we will soon have Obamacare.)
Scary. These links seem to be the most stressed of the cycle parts and, consequently, the most prone to fatigue failure. Anyone have any comment on how worthwhile it would be to replace them preemptively? Anyone have any experience with any reasonably-priced x-ray inspection establishments in the US, preferably near NY?

email (option): jonny.rudge@verizon.net

Not the case with Johns Model X I'm sure but with an M20 NOS fork links can still be had from Russell motors. Probably the best course of action would be to fit a new set and return the 'clock' to zero if potential failure is a concern...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Looks a wonderful motorcycle, what are they like?

email (option): kit247@hotmail.com

I've never ridden one. But I should think they were the Jaguar of motorcycles in their day. It's the sort of thing Broughs were built of. Ron

Imagine you had two engines in your M20 and you are somewhere near it.
The big SV V twins are not high power or high performance machines but they do what they do in a pretty relaxed way ...until the forks snap, then I would guess things are much more exciting..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

The loadings on girder forks with a chair fitted are pretty high but they usually flex and cope quite well.

Had John dismantled the forks ? It looks like a completely new break with no old red-brown fretting.

Had the rear spindle tightened up ? I can only imagine that side forging breaking if it was seized at the rear spindle and pivoting at the front. The sideways loadings should be adequately spread and there is no sign of lateral distortion.

It's certainly going to confuse the Froggies when they see Dad's Army landing on D+1

I love the look of the Model X but I didn't know they did a WD version. Well done on getting it back together so quick

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

I'm with you on that one Rik.One spindle seized while the other one wasn't. Perhaps a set of the WD solid links instead of those hollowed out dogbone links would be tougher?

Ji Guys, well the X is now repaired and back on the road. I took Peter Brown out in it last night and it pulls like a train. It is much smoother to ride than my Big 4 and much quicker. One has to ask why on earth did they buy the Big 4 when the X was available off the shelf. I guess the answer is that the Big 4 was designed for off road performance which the X did not have. I have come to the conclusion that the link broke due to metal fatigue as there are signs it had been broken part way through for a long time. I am just pleased that no one was injured when the fork broke. Cheers John

email (option): tinley@btinternet.com

Nieuwe pagina 1