Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Operation Manna food droppings over Holland

Some new 8 mm film has been found about Operation Manna about the food droppings over Holland near the end of the war.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Re: Operation Manna food droppings over Holland

i was quite suprised at how many aircraft there were it was nice to see it being distributed and i hope they were'nt eggs that were being dropped from a height

Yes, in Amsterdam there were mainly B17s, "Operation Chowhound", there were hundreds after hundreds, one wave after the other, and there were no eggs, just delicious powdered eggs. And Irish stew, and spam, and Welfare biscuits, and sweets, and tins with oats, and butter, and chocolate, and condensed milk.
The only disappointment were the tins with tea and powdered milk; impossible to separate them
Most of the droppings arrived after the Liberation, around May 10, due to lack of transportation, but the psychological impact was immense, we KNEW that the war was over, it gave us the strength to pass those last weeks before the 49th arrived.

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Really great to see some Lancasters, maybe some were 195 Squadron.

email (option): kit247@hotmail.com

That's a coincidence Kit.I just saw one fly over Buckingham Palace Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Marriage is war indeed

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

HaHa, marriage...just having a girlfriend is enough..I was having a look through some of the other photos, one some of the Lancs the double lines on the back fins, which were yellow, mark the Squadron Leaders aircraft, I know my Uncle used his C/O's, F Fox..

email (option): kit247@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1