Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Needed: front frame section?

Looking over the pile of separately-sourced bits I hope to assemble as a WM20, I now see that two of the frame lugs have been neatly ground off, probably a failed attempt to install a different engine. Stripping the paint made it obvious where the lugs were ground off. One is the top front lug where the engine plate stud attaches, the other is the top gearbox plate mount on the seat tube.

No wonder it cost only $200!

The front frame is otherwise straight and sound, as is the rear frame. The drawing of the front frame in the parts listing on this site does not show these attachment lugs, leading me to feel I had what was needed. Until I attempted the "dry build", that is.

Did the KM20 frame lack these lugs? Was there a removable fixture at these attachment points on some models? Mine is WM20 8549.

If I can't find a straight and serviceable front frame I could fabricate a facsimile and weld it in place, but having repaired a front downtube on an early B31 I'm not inclined to repeat that job.

So, do any of you chaps have a front frame section to sell or trade? I have an iron cylinder head, gearbox bits, a rear wheel with some deep rusted spots, Magdyno bodies, a Lycett seat, an MU42 headlight bucket or an M20 cylinder to offer in trade.

I'm in Rhode Island, USA. US source preferred, but I'm getting desperate. Any suggestions for a source?

Thanks for reading.

Jeff Bandola

email (option): jjbandoo@aol.com

Re: Needed: front frame section?

Is this any use http://www.btinternet.com/~hawkshaw.motorcycles/unknownframepics.html It is cheap enough to stand the postage from the UK

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

those ground off lugs could be sidecar lugs

Roger,

Wish that were so. The lug that attaches the top front engine plate stud is gone, as well as the top attachment point for the rear plates.

Thanks for the other leads, guys.

Jeff

email (option): jjbandoo@aol.com

Hey Jeff,

I have one here in Michigan. Seat lug is oval, but that is minor. Otherwise, all is good. I'll even wipe the grease & dirt off for you.

Cheers,

Robb

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Jeff, it sounds like Robb has the answer for you but if you are really feeling like you need some worksop time I have a front section that has had both bottom lugs hacked off.
I do mean hacked -looks like it was a cold chisel, to allow the engine and gearbox plates to be mounted on a sawbench and keep the upper frame bit to mount fuel and oil tank.
I would be able to cut both the upper lugs off (and leave you the fun of removing the frame tube) and post them to the US for reasonable postage I would think.

I'm sure we could come up with a trade on something if you wanted to do this as a secondary task to make your front section serviceable (and you have bit of masochist in you).

email (option): rays54@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1