Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Chapmans.

Ah, Chapmans of Duke Street in Norwich. A regular haunt on a Saturday morning. If you needed a spare for your Beeza it was the place to go. Its was opposite the Golden Star pub, another place to be on a Saturday night. Long gone, the shop is now part of a Bentley dealership. A few years ago I spoke at length with Sam Harman, a mechanic working there when this pic was taken. Here's a couple more of his pics-
Photobucket
Photobucket
The chap second from the left in the second pic is a Mr Warren, an inspector from the war dept, who was there to inspect the finished product before releasing them back to the forces. Fourth from the left is Harold Chapman, son of the founder, Herbert Chapman, extreme right.
Not too clear in the pic is the tank numbers, showing these are rebuilt bikes. The small workshop overhauled nearly 3000 bikes.
Sam was kept out of the services due to a motorcycle accident, so he became a fire service messenger boy before starting at Chapmans. He worked in the Motorcycle trade in Norwich, including R O Clarks (another famous Norwich dealer, and TT rider) for 23 years until the death of a family member in another motorcycle accident put him off bikes.
I was glad to have met him.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Re: Chapmans.

I dont know if it's me growing old, but it sure looks like they were hiring young help back in the day.

Does that little board say May 7/43 or 45 ? Rob.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

I used to go there when I worked as a mechanic for A R HORNIGOLD (ratty) @ LONDON RD DEREHAM NORFOLK to pickup parts /bikes etc ..

it says 1943

They probably were younger, as older men/boys would be in the forces.....

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

Hornigolds in Dereham! Another shop I remember well. After getting a bike built or repaired, us in Norwich would book an MOT there in order to give the bike a good shake down run. If we made it to Dereham we knew the bike would be OK.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

It reminds me of an old bike shop in Northwich where I used to live, they closed down in about 1995, up until then it was still a "tin Shed" with genuine Triumph shop door mats, with that old time bike shop feel, it moved into new premises as they needed the space for an access road for a supermarket so they gave them high tech new premises and all of a sudden it had lost its charm, needless to say, the new premesis were too valuable an asset compared to the old shop, so they sold up shortly afterwards ........I never did find out what happened to the Triumph doormats!

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

I used to work there 77-8 as an apprentice, Phil dorking was the foreman , Barry ,was a mechanic , Nigel in the stores , good times , I got the bsa bushman that was up on the shelf against the wall when I left

email (option): camerons1961@icloud.com

What a great picture.
How I would love to go in there...

Nieuwe pagina 1