Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ariel WNG kick start lever

Just found an WNG kick start lever at last , but thought it was twisted up slightly, , ie needed a bit of heat to sort it out, then checked parts list,part no3300-36c and to my surprise the drawing shows the horizontal part twisted up , now that isn't right is it? fitted it on bike and its nothing to do with the gearbox angle,it just looks queer, andrew.h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Re: ariel WNG kick start lever

Hi Andy
are you talking about the kick start ,mine has a small off set to clear gearbox ,the bar yr boot pushes is fixed 90deg to the arm NO twist? RON P is yr man ,john

email (option): john@fieldandrurallife.com

John's right Andy. Should look like this I think. Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks John and Ron its possible I have been sold the wrong one,Ron yours looks like a standard burman gear box kick start, the ariel one shewn in the the parts book looks straight without the kink, but looks like you need the kink to clear the toolbox and the exhaust,Will check tommorow andrew

Andrew I'm just trying to look at original pictures. It does look like the starter is straight rather than the cranked version I have. Mine will clear the toolbox with a good gap, but only just clears the exhaust. I wonder if should have a straight shaft but be canted over at the gearbox end? Where is Mick Holmes when you need him? Ron

Andrew Rons picture of his kick start is identical to mine ?
John

Ron Ive just checked on Keiths and his is the same as yrs and mine

I hope it's correct John. I seem to remember that both your bikes were quite original. Otherwise we'll all be looking for the right one. I'm sure Mick's is original. Ron

Hi guys, the W/NG kickstart is virtually straight, but angled out to clear the ex system. Looking towards the back of the bike, they stick out at about 11 o'clock. Ron, yours looks like the Matchless/later Ariel GB type lever.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Thanks Mick. Got any of the correct type? Ron

Hi Ron, will have a dig around, see if I can find something.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Thanks Mick.

Well I have checked My W.N.G with new kickstart fitted and it fine,And as suspected the parts book is right, and thank goodness confirmed by mick, so it just needs to be strightend a bit and its ok, thanks guys, Ron will keep an eye out for one for you, mind you I have been on the lookout for one for a year or so , they do come on flybuy from time to time,but I keep missing them, thanks again, see you all in normandy andrew.h.

Well done Andy. I bought my W/NG from a well known Ariel guy as a basket case. I have forever been correcting the bits he gave me. I'm getting there! Ron

The W/NG's kickstart lever is as quoted by Mick, eg: fairly straight....and is, typically, far harder to source today than the common Matchless type although the screw-in foot lever portion is the same on both types and interchangeable. My own W/NG had the Matchless type fitted for several years until the correct lever turned up at a 'jumble...

It is probable that in the reality of WW2, military workshops would not have been too fussed about which version of lever was fitted, AMC or Ariel. After all, both were Burman components....

The Ariel's Burman CP gearbox also has a peculiar external spring clip similar to the Matchless item, designed to hold the lever upright in the event of an internal spring breakage, 'though quite how it works on the W/NG has defeated me so far !

It's also worth noting that W/NG's between 1940 and 1945 were fitted with at least 4 different types of gear-change lever (early-war short and longer levers with facility for foot-rubber; mid-war cranked/angled lever without rubber, similar to that fitted to WD/CO/B Enfield's; and the later war non-cranked non-rubber lever). The parts lists do tend to list the lever changes as they occured.....

Thanks steve for clarifying the detail,if the screw bit can be persuaded to come out might be a quick fix rather than heating it up, by the way hows your back now , are you able to ride,regards andrew.h

Yes Steve you can see that spring clip in the picture of my bike. I often wondered how it works? Possibly with the correct kick starter it might have a chance.

Ron

I'm shocked Ron...post war mag? ...Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

Yep I totally agree Ian. But after spending £200 on the mag that came with the bike only to find the plug lead was on the wrong side according to original pictures, then locating a mag in the correct configuration and spending another £200, and all in times gone by before I new there was a difference. Ron

Absolutely Ian...a post-war mag ! Ron might just as well have machined the timing cover, fitted a Joe Hunt Magneto and made a proper bobber out of it !

Before the advent of websites like this one, it was very hard to pick up small details, like how to tell the mag bodies apart, especially as the data plates are so easily swapped.

Sometimes I'm glad that I only have a couple of bikes to count the rivets on.

None of them are perfect...by B30 has a replica horn because I wanted to get the bike finished. I'll then find the correct one at my leisure. There are other things not exactly right as well..
Best to give Ron a prod though...just to keep him on his toes ...Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1