Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Finish as supplied by respective manufacturers?

I should like to hear the opinion of the Forum about this item before I start painting. Finish as supplied versus as wartime colour.

What was in 1942 / 1943 the common colour for Horn, Cover band dynamo, Strap dynamo, Strap magdyno, Frame control box, Cover control box, Frame saddle, Speedo bezel and housing, Cover tappet chest, Control levers, and last Battery.
Thanks in advance,
Lammert de Vries

Re: Finish as supplied by respective manufacturers?

Hi Lammert, there is a BSA M20 spare parts for contract C6126 (reprinted by Rob van Meel) dated 1940 which gives the finish of every BSA component, but it sadly doesn't include all the parts made by Lucas, Smiths Jaeger, Amal ect.

Some early Lucas parts do have a date stamped on them but its not often you find them in guaranteed original finish and they may not have been sent straight to the factorys.

And as the war progressed more savings in materials were made so there would be differences beween not only 1942 and 1943 but probably January & February 1943.

The only real clue could be to try to interpret original photographs.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Rob thank you for answering. I will remain looking for original photografhs. However 99% is black and white. Regards, Lammert

Rob Miller
Hi Lammert, there is a BSA M20 spare parts for contract C6126 (reprinted by Rob van Meel) dated 1940 which gives the finish of every BSA component, but it sadly doesn't include all the parts made by Lucas, Smiths Jaeger, Amal ect.

Some early Lucas parts do have a date stamped on them but its not often you find them in guaranteed original finish and they may not have been sent straight to the factorys.

And as the war progressed more savings in materials were made so there would be differences beween not only 1942 and 1943 but probably January & February 1943.

Hello ,

Im looking for the same information regarding finish for My 1939/40 WM20 .

Where might the publication by Rob Van Meel be available from please ?

It would certainly be a big help for Me .

Thanks in advance,
Steve..

email (option): s.foster11@blueyonder.co.uk

This might help

/1 Cadmium
/2 Dull Chrome
/3. Bright Chrome.
/4. Dull Green Dutch,
/5. Sand /Egyptian/.
/6 Rust proof black
/7 Black Enamel
/8. Khaki green No 3 (Matt).
/9. Green Enamel,
/10. Khaki Green.
/11. Khaki Green (No 3 Gas Proof)
/12. Chrome Plate and Devon Red, Lined Gold.
/13. Chrome Plate and Matt Silver, Lined Black.
/14. Chrome Plate and Blue, Lined Gold.
/15. Chrome Plate and Green, Lined Gold.
/16. Matt Silver, Lined Black.
/17. Chrome Plate and Black, Lined Gold. This might help

Br
Job

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Stephen Foster
Rob Miller

Hello ,

Im looking for the same information regarding finish for My 1939/40 WM20 .

Where might the publication by Rob Van Meel be available from please ?

It would certainly be a big help for Me .

Thanks in advance,
Steve..
Hi Steve

Here is the page from Robs website.

Rob

http://robvanmeel.nl/?q=catalog/367

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Lammert de Vries
I should like to hear the opinion of the Forum about this item before I start painting. Finish as supplied versus as wartime colour.

What was in 1942 / 1943 the common colour for Horn, Cover band dynamo, Strap dynamo, Strap magdyno, Frame control box, Cover control box, Frame saddle, Speedo bezel and housing, Cover tappet chest, Control levers, and last Battery.
Thanks in advance,
Lammert de Vries
I do know that from NOS Lucas parts, the dynamo end cover and holding strap were gloss black, this can also be seen on period black and white pictures, the speedo bezel was (for 1942/3) the unplated rounded item, and that was painted, same as the speedo.

Saddle frames were usually painted in service colour, same for battery.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbi**.net

Many Thanks Rob ,

Will have a study of this Tomorrow ..in bed with flu at the moment .

Regards,
Steve..

Thank You for the above & Your help recently .

Best wishes,
Steve ..

Nieuwe pagina 1