Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
forum pic

a nice picture, but what has he got in that mug!
he looks like he is seriously wondering about what he has just been handed and with that plume above it you cant blame him.

Re: forum pic

The original picture is slightly bigger and more ores less shows what is going on there.

Henk.

BSA Enfield

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

This was a common scene..there was a strong tradition of 'supporting the troops' and people frequently gave them cold drinks or cups of tea.
When the troops returned from Dunkirk many of them were loaded up into lorries and moved to the Midlands to recover and be reorganised and refitted.
Convoys passing through Northampton where my mother lived were stopped due to the traffic congestion.
My mother said the whole street took out drinks, sandwiches etc.etc. for the troops. She said many of them had little clothing and they were just issued blankets to wrap themselves in for the journey...and many looked completely exhausted..Nice headgear worn by the DR.I wonder if any of those guys ended up in those lorries in Northampton?...Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

I've seen the picture before but I can't find the caption again. It is post-Dunkirk and shows a unit of 5th Division training, I'm pretty sure, in Northern Ireland which would date it to 1941.

They got away with it then...lucky lads...Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

Sadly, there's a good chance that some of them will lie at Anzio or can be found on the Cassino Memorial.

the plume looks like there is a nice piece of cake on a plate just behind the mug of lovely tea sorry got to go and put the kettle on

I think he's describing the volatility of schnapps!!

Nieuwe pagina 1