Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gearbox bearings

I have just started to re-build a gearbox for an M20 I have renewed a main bearing using a 6207 double shielded, this is the one the carries the top gear & the main shaft goes through it. Now my question is this. Do I really need to replace the two metal shields on either side of the original bearing? as I can see no practical use for them, I believe that on the original layout that these were there to stop the oil from running out past the bearing.
Gentlemen & ladies, with qualifications, I eagerly await your replies on this topic

BTW I have removed the shield from the inner side of the bearing.

email (option): Jomichael@aol.com

Re: Gearbox bearings

Hi John, From memory the outer shield fits into a recess in the casting of the case so could be left out. The inner one, if left out, will move fourth gear(the sleeve gear pinion) and therefore the mainshaft towards that end of the gearbox by an amount equal to its thickness. That would have some effect on the degree of engagement of top and third gear dogs. Top might not engage enough and when selecting third the dogs might 'bottom out' affecting the action of the selector fork shaft.(the movement of the pins along the cam track)...worth checking....Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

Re: Gearbox bearings

Ian. Yes thats what I thought also, although I may just try fitting a spacer washer of the same thickness onto the gear to bring it to the same position on the shaft, I think it may be a bit of trial & error. Many thanks for your input I'll let you know how it goes.

Regards TTJohn

Nieuwe pagina 1