Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
C-number 16H

Dear forum friends.
Can you help me out please with the C-number and date for 2 16H's. The frame numbers are 19243 and 19957.
I have one 16H for 5 years now (see WDNorton website for photo if you are curious) and I want to restore it back to brown WD color and take it to Normandy next year. The other 16H I plan to buy and I want to know the C-number and date.
I very appreciate your help .

Henrie

email (option): h dot groeneveld16 # chello dot nl

Re: C-number 16H

Hello Henrie,

You can better send a direct mail to Rob van de Brink he has all the information you needed. wd16h@telfort.nl.
regards,

Bram

email (option): bram@ockhuizen.com

So near, and yet so far, Henrie !

Both these machines were built under contract C6653.

Assuming no anomalies in the issue, the census numbers should have been as follows;-

W19243 - C4317520
W19957 - C4318234

One of the very few remaining wartime Norton factory ledgers begins at W20039 - you were only 82 out on having an exact date !

The first bike under the contract, W18001 arrived at Chilwell on 7/8/1940 and W20039 was built on 4/9/1940 so I think that you can be fairly certain that your bikes date from August and September 1940 (unless of course they were rejected and went down the line again ! )

With a 1940 build date, these would originally have been finished in Khaki Green No.3

I don't have a photo of either of the bikes but I do have C4318245 (W19968 ?) in service with the Manx Regiment in the Middle East (photo is from their museum). You missed out on a picture by 11 machines !

Photobucket

Don't forget to post pictures of the new bike !

email (option): 79x100@gmail.com

Thanks for your help Rik.

Will post a photo of the new 16H.

Henrie

Henrie,

I recently bought a 16H from the same contract W19518. I'm really unterested to see some pictures of your bikes! They should have the pannier toolboxes on both sides...

Kostas

email (option): ferrarakias@hotmail.com

Kostas,

I have to dissapoint you. No pannier toolboxes on both bikes.
Items for my " I wish I had" list....

Henrie

Nieuwe pagina 1