Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
More on Amal carbs

I have been reading old postings about the finish to pre-war Amal carbs but the exchanges seem to stop short of the information I need. Were the carbs painted and then lacquered or did they use a grey coloured lacquer. Has anyone yet found out how to accurately reproduce the appearance and finish? Was this finish just applied to the carb body or other parts as well? cheers,

John

email (option): tinley@btinternet.com

Re: More on Amal carbs

Hi John, All the carbs on any Brit bike I have owned are just the plain die-cast metal. Which is to say there are no chemical finishes on any of them. I'd venture to say that any finish you apply would be ruined by the gasoline anyway.

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Hi John...From the appearance of NOS carb parts I have had previously I would say the parts were done in a coloured lacquer, applied directly to the bare castings. The carb body, body top, float chamber and float chamber top had this finish applied. Carb fittings were usually finished in dull/satin chrome or 'camera finish' as it used to be known.
The color of the lacquer is a yellowy/silver grey with a very slight 'metallic' appearance.
I was told once by an 'old boy' that the finish could be replicated using nail varnish mixed to the correct shade and applied with a small 'airbrush' type spray gun. He said this finish was petrol proof, though I don't know if that would still be the case with ethanol petrol.
An alternative would be to spray the parts in the appropriate colour using ordinary paint and then apply a coat of clear, satin, two pack lacquer.
Best to take your wife with you if you go looking for suitable nail varnish colours ...though if you hurry you could say it's a Xmas present!! ...Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

I only have Amal build specs for Nortons but both pre-war and wartime cards specify lacquered mixing and float chambers. As Ian says, dull chrome for the other fittings except, in the case of Nortons, plain brass for petrol union nuts.

Photographic evidence and a chat with Martin Bratby suggest that float chamber tops were dull-chromed brass up until the early part of 1940.

Photobucket

'Radco' refers to pre-monoblocs being coated with a matt creamy-silver finish on the alloy parts.

I'd doubt if any single thin coat is going to stand up to ethanol fuels.

email (option): 79x100@gmail.com

Two pack lacquer should protect the finish...if that isn't petrol proof there are going to be some nasty looking paintjobs about! Spaying a test piece would soon determine if one coat is adequate....Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

The problem with two packs in this context (I think) is that there is too much build for that 'just blown over' sort of finish which left all the casting marks visible. I can't imagine a two-packed carb looking 'crisp' enough.

My experience of two packs on fuel tanks as well is that if there is too much paint around the filler neck, the fuel will very slowly over years) find it's way underneath it and start to lift the edge.

email (option): 79x100@gmail.com

Lex has replicated the laquered look somehow. I think it was two pac...Lex?? Whatever it was they used in those days is imposible to remove with solvent.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1