Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New hints and tips from Hans Muller on the Technical info page

Hans Muller just send me a lot of new material for the technical info page. Take a look if you like. It are all pdf files.

Thanks for your contribution Hans.

Henk.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Re: New hints and tips from Hans Muller on the Technical info page

I need an easy way to change the main fork spring on my Norton 16H, with as limited hassle as is possible.. Any helpful information on that task would be most appreciated.. I got a replacement spring from Ron Pier some time ago and I've just come round to doing it.. I couldn't see anything in the Technical Info page so that would be useful resource to have..

Hints and tips for your problem have to come from the Norton corner; unfortunately, I don't have a 16H

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

16H forks eh ? The difficulty lies not with the main spring which is logical enough but with the check springs which are fighting in the opposite direction and far more fiddly.

There is an old thread where I asked for help at a moment of desperation and skinned knuckles and eventually showed how I did it -

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=981458&cmd=show

email (option): 79x100@gmail.com

Ah.. Thank you Rik just what I need to help me..
I wanted to do this with the minimal amount of work really.. The check springs are in place and I don't want to disengage those unless I have to..? I have a broken main spring is the problem..
I was told that one way of doing it would be to compress the new spring in a vice and wrap wire around the spring to keep it compressed so you can remove it from the vice.. Then hopefully one can then put your compressed spring in place and undo the bindings and karbang there you have it. I know that in practice I'm bound to have significantly less fingers than I started out with..
I will study what you went through in the "Norton Forks" thread. Thanks for that.
Jon G

My Mum said that could take someones eye out ...Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

Ian Wright
My Mum said that could take someones eye out ...Ian

Ian - Clearly a most astute lady, your mother ! I suspect that she used to watch whilst you dismantled things as a lad !

I think that what Jon is describing is better known as a PIAT

I reckon Jon that your best hope is to lever the 'top clip' over the steering stem. If it were me though, whilst it was apart, I'd want to check the condition of the head-set balls as well. It would be a shame to have to do the job twice.

email (option): 79x100@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1