Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mystery Fuel Tank for British Single

This is a cross-post of my query on the Triumph RAT forum and the BritBike forum.

Can anyone identify this tank?

It belongs to a guy round the corner who has a BSA M20 that came from his father.

The tank sits on the M20 frame, but the rear mounts don't match.

Distinguishing features:
Screw-on heavy brass fuel cap.
Two mounting lugs sticking out the front.
No centre seam.
Two hooks fore and aft on one side of the underside of the tank.
Single fuel tap hole.
Two mounting points near the rear.

I would like to help, and I post this in the hope it is instantly recognisable by one of you.

Go here and have a look at three pics if you are interested.

http://cid-95bdc85060d57d20.photos.live.com/play.aspx/Mystery%20British%20Single%20Fuel%20Tank?Bsrc=EMSHHM&Bpub=SN.Notifications

Thanks for looking.
Regards,
Neil.

email (option): loctitekid@hotmail.com

Re: Mystery Fuel Tank for British Single

Hi Niel...That tank is from a pre war BSA I think. The oval shape pressed into the side is for the transfers used in that period. I'm unsure which model, as there are lots!. If Leon sees this posting he may reply...he knows far more about these pre war machines.
However, judging by the cut outs in the base of the tank I should think an OHV 350 is a likely possibility......Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

Ian Wright
Hi Niel...That tank is from a pre war BSA I think. The oval shape pressed into the side is for the transfers used in that period. I'm unsure which model, as there are lots!. If Leon sees this posting he may reply...he knows far more about these pre war machines.
However, judging by the cut outs in the base of the tank I should think an OHV 350 is a likely possibility......Ian

Ian,

Thank you so much for the info. This is a young guy who is keen to restore this old bike. He is finding it hard to get parts, and I suspect not easy to afford them when he finds them.

He has this tank but he has never used it. If it is from an early BSA, then it will at least look the part until he finds the correct tank. Better than what he is using now - a tin can balanced on his knees.

Thanks to your help, we may see a nice looking British Single around here soon.

Regards,
Neil.

email (option): loctitekid@hotmail.com

I agree with Ian definitely pre war BSA. To be exact 1935-1936 as the pressed out ovals fpr the transfers were only used n that period except for the Y13 which had the same pressing also in 1937 and 1938 before being discontinued.
The attachments for the tank rubbers have sawed off. Like Ian I think it came of an OHV model.

You can see some examples on my homepage:

http://home.planet.nl/~leonhop3/

Regards,
Leon

email (option): leonhop3@planet.nl

Nieuwe pagina 1