Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hooter Facelift

Hi Everyone. I'm giving my hooter a facelift, its a clearhooter so presumably the correct one for the bike.After removing countless layers of post war green it appears to be matt black crinkle finish on the body and gloss black on the face,no sign of olive drab at all.Could someone please tell me what its war time finish should have been. Thanks.

Re: Hooter Facelift

Hi Mike, what make model and year is your bike?

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Hi Rob. Sorry i should have said.Its a1944 wm20.

I would have thought it would have been the same colour as the bike, Brown or British Olive Drab for 1944.

Its possible its a late or post war replacement part added when the bike was rebuilt.

Which model Clearhooter is it? Ron or Jan might be able to tell when it was made if you could supply a picture.

Hi Rob. On the insulator where the terminals are,on one side of the terminals it has stamped Clearhooter and on the other side 6 VOLT HF180 there maybe something else after the zero but its to faint to see.Unable to provide photo,unfortunatly i lack the know how.

Hi Mike, There are some pictures in this previous thread, which one have you got.

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=1096761&cmd=show

I think the Clear Hooters that looks like a Lucas Altette with the crinkle finish back is the post was version. I have seen these NOS with WD labels on them. An Altette would be the correct horn for that period M20. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hey Guys..i am a little confused???? In the USA hooters are these, see below...what are hooters In the UK????

FALL 2010

email (option): rcassin@aol.com

Horn

email (option): micran1234@yahoo.com

Robert we have lots of names for those over here! Looking at those hooters can quite often give you the horn though.
Seriously though they are generaly called Horns over here. I got used to calling them hooters from my mechanic days in Rhodesia. But there has been a company around here forever with the trade name Clearhooters. Ron

I have been to hooters & it was fantastic

:-)
Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Hi Mike,

I guess that this is the kind of horn that you have?

This is the Clearhooters HF180A, which does indeed look very similar to the war time Lucas Altette see pictures below):

According to Lynn Isaac (Taffy The Horn), the cast Clearhooters were also supplied to the Army during the war, but although I've asked him a couple of times, he hasn't given me any details...

Jan (rewdco)

Photobucket

“And now it's your turn to get up off that couch and go into the deserts, go into the mountains, go under the lakes, rivers, and seas and search for history. You'll never find a more rewarding adventure!” (Clive Cussler)

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

I've noted what I believe to be some inaccuracies in some of Taff's comments........but I'm not going to be the one to tell him Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1