Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gearbox rebuild

I set off this morning at Sparrow's fart on a 300 odd mile round trip to Ian's place. I spent a good junk of the day stripping the engine from his B33 whilst he got on with the much more important task of giving my M20 gearbox the once over. Turns out he had to replace both my main and lay shafts. A new sealed bearing was installed and a lot of fiddling with shims ensued. It's amazing how many hours can be used up just on the gearbox. Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: Gearbox rebuild

Wish I lived that close to be able to do that Ron. !!

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Me too. I have to admit that I sometimes dont enjoy my M20 because Im so damn worried ill break something and have no clue how to fix it the right way. Gearboxes are my nemesis. Id love to learn from a master the ins and outs of the m20 box. Everyone says how durable m20's are, but I have to convince myself of it.

email (option): micran1234@yahoo.com

I admit the same feeling about the M20 box. I have rebuilt dozens of gearbox's over the years, but the M20 is the one that worries me. I learnt an awful lot watching Ian yesterday and would attempt one myself now. However it's no good to just take it apart and put it back together. It seems you need a large stock of spares and shims etc so that you can select the best fitting parts from an array of differently machined or worn parts, and the facility to do some machining. Ron

PS Mike, just ride it and enjoy it! It's not life threatening if it breaks. Just park it up and ask for advice on here.....The M20 is fairly bullet proof anyway.

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Yes, you are right. Its just my nature to be very careful with things. Sometimes Im to careful.

Mike

email (option): micran1234@yahoo.com

WOW, and how clean and neat are all the parts
I do most things myself, but in an old BSA repair shop, and am really satisfied if I can get it kerosene washed in a tray on the table.
Never did I have it that clean and nice!

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

Ian i like the look kit in the picture HAMMER just the ticket

email (option): john@fieldandrurallife.com

john allison
Ian i like the look kit in the picture HAMMER just the ticket

That's a traditional hide mallet with nicely softened working surfaces. It's impossible to do damage with one of those. it won't even 'bruise' casings.

Traditional Copper & hide the copper end works well

I've got hide mallets, nylon mallets, rubber mallets, deadblow hammers, plenishing hammers a range of ball pien hammers in different weights and a bloody great lump hammer for serious problems.. ..Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

why waste time with a large spanner!! get the extra large lump hammer on the case

you havnt got a panel pin hammer ian

Nieuwe pagina 1