Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rear wheel saga continues

I am finding that getting a useable rear wheel is amazingly difficult considering how many m20's were nocked out by bsa. due to all the little bits needed the rear wheel is going to be one of the most pricey chunks of bike ha ha.
managed to get this wheel and got some good help from the draganfly m20 bloke (Cheers if you read this)
got 90% of it.

I dont know who made this axle, it looked the part but look how long it lasted. the nut was only held on by thin weld on the end. I got it from an autojumble and it looked new. complete waste of money.

the rear heel has got ball bearings in it

The sprocket I got from netley marsh has oversized locating dowells, and wont fit the wheel.
I got a brake plate too and its exactly the same as another m20 one i have, but the hole in the middle is a tiny bit smaler and the stub axle wont go through it???

email (option): hutman80@hotmail.com

Re: Rear wheel saga continues

Hello Maxwell.
As to the axle, I got the same problem with same new axle.
Once I applied some force when tightening the bolt, (right hand side) the head came right off from the other side. (left)
The original ones appears to be made of 1 chunk of metal. Not those new ones..
I just put the screw back into the bolt/adjusting head and let it pass about 1 mm out of it, then plasma-welded it aroung and grinded it smooth.
It is super strong now.
Cannot help with the sprocket problems though..

Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

Yea cheap junk. I thought about drilling through and putting a dowell through bolt and shaft and combining that with welding too.

another pic for the sake of it.
A bit of a jigsaw the rear wheel

Original wheel spindles are a two piece construction with the head pinned and brazed in place....so a weld repair should be ok....Watch out for replica (Indian) brake drums...if they are new and painted black they are probably from there. They are made of cast iron, not steel and rapidly shed the sprocket teeth in service..Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

Some time ago I ordered and got sprocket from Peter’s.
Black and matches your description Ian, but stated and punch marked as “Made in England”.
Hope it really is…

http://www.petersclassicbikeparts.nl/contents/en-us/d256.html

Ian ,do you remember we had same problem with Rolys spindle in France 65/65 that spindle was still in the nos box ?

email (option): john@fieldandrurallife.com

I have one of Peters on my 16H as well, not enough miles to comment on longevity yet. The one it replaced had 16 out of 43 teeth intact, fitted Ian's description well.

Noam Zehavi
Some time ago I ordered and got sprocket from Peter’s.
Black and matches your description Ian, but stated and punch marked as “Made in England”.
Hope it really is…
http://www.petersclassicbikeparts.nl/contents/en-us/d256.html

Don't panic chaps!...the black sprockets stamped 'made in england' are supplied by 'Velocettes' in Coventry and are very nicely made. They are chemically blacked as opposed to painted and are CNC machined all over from the correct steel...proper replica parts!!...Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

I am hoping I can file down the location dowells on the sprocket I have. It may take a while. but the rear wheel is turning into a money pit. draganfly have the good sprocket's too. machined.
my rim is a bit pitted and in one spot is on the brink of use/dont use. may need re lacing to new rim.
I don't want to drill out the hub to take the oversize sprocket.
thanks cheers

The 16H sounds like it is a different arrangement, but i had to scrape the black off the face of the hole through the middle of my drum, the two thicknesses of the black finish was the difference between "impossible to fit" and "a perfect fit".
I hope yours is that simple.

Ian thanks for your comments, i was reasonably confident as Peters seems to be a good website/supplier, but good to know for sure.

maxwell
I am hoping I can file down the location dowells on the sprocket I have. It may take a while. but the rear wheel is turning into a money pit. draganfly have the good sprocket's too. machined.
my rim is a bit pitted and in one spot is on the brink of use/dont use. may need re lacing to new rim.
I don't want to drill out the hub to take the oversize sprocket.
thanks cheers

Maxwell. Just saw your post, I have a spare rear wheel intact, its one that came with my basket case, I had a newish one which I used, so if you need it give me a call. The rim looks a bit moth eaten on the extreme rim but it is usable, on close inspection it looks as though it may have been welded but I don't know for sure, the hub is very good condition & fits the sprocket as it should do spokes are o.k. You can contact me on Jomichael@aol.com
Regards
TTJohn

email (option): Jomichael@aol.com

O.k cool Ill do that.
cheers

Thanks for the info Ian W!
indeed it's chemically blacked.

Noam.

Yes, Pert’s stuff is super, BUT the shipping prices are really really heavy !!

On the other hand, De Groot does always give me automatic postage quotation of 25Eu, even for a screw, but then is honest enough to refund some 14Eu back via PayPal.
(And also have top quality parts and NOS’s)

Noam.

Nieuwe pagina 1