Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Types of Early Blackout

A while ago I found this painted headlight glass at a Jumble. The size across 188mm or 7 3/8" so its a bit too small for an 8inch DU142 motorcycle headlamp.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here is an M20 in Italy with a painted lense.

Photobucket

Its almost funny that the seller wrote the price on it in permanent marker and reduced any value it had to less than £1

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Re: Types of Early Blackout

That's interesting Rob. It's not much too small for the 8" headlamp, is it ? How big are those glasses ?

I've long had the impression that many of the masks were painted rather than a manilla insert. Is this one painted black on the inside and khaki on the outer surface ? The sticky paper is a puzzle too.

The rim on my bike had traces of the same cobalt blue paint on it that was used for the RE AoS marking on the rear number plate, leading me to suspect that the now missing glass may once have didplayed arm of service details.

I found a reference in the April 1940 war diary for No.2 Provost that all vehicle headlamps were to be painted blue before the advance into Belgium. However, it doesn't make it clear if this was to signify Provost vehicles, to intensify the blackout or as a recognition signal for all BEF vehicles.

Did pre-war Police vehicles have blue lamps ?

Photobucket

Looking at the inside there are patches of green and black paint but some has peeled off.

What I think has happened is:-
1. The outside was painted green, but looking at an unpainted bit inside the light was shining through the paint.
2. The inside was painted green, but the light was still illumiating the outer surface.
3. The inside was painted black.
4. A piece of white paper was stuck over the half circle aperture to prevent a beam of light.
5. The half circle was recut (roughly) in the white paper probably because the rider/driver couldn't see a thing.

I have a replica 8inch black manila mask here which is 200mm or 7 7/8" which isn't that much bigger so maybe it could be made to fit a DU142?

That's great Rob, a whole novel out of a £1 headlamp glass ! You've certainly had your money's worth !

Could it fit either the Lucas rim used for domed glasses or perhaps a Miller unit ?

LV6 MT3. Vocabulary Of Army Stores, Chilwell Nov 1943.

Page 9, Masks Headlamp

84613 7 7/8" Dia. W.D. special pattern, Millers, Drg. No.1367/A. For Miller headlamps, Type M4E/W.D. to fit in place of glass. For Velocette motor cycles.

84605 8 3/8" Dia. W.D.special pattern, Lucas, Part No.50001. For Lucas DU142 size motor cycle lamp or similar.

The above are the standard hooded blackouts but may or not be the type with the built in rim, so the sizes might be the external rim size. But the difference in size makes me wonder if you are right and this is a glass from an early Velocette or Matchless? fitted with a Miller headlamp.

Does anyone have such a headlamp they could measure?

Where's Ron ?

I think that those sizes must be outside diameter as the Lucas glass is a little under the nominal 8" size.

What are you going to do Rob ? Build a Velocette round it?

Rob I'll take some measurements tomorrow from the 8" miller on my Velo. Did they fit Miller's to early G3's? I know some G3L's were miller equiped. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Rob I just remembered to measure some headlamps. Without taking the rims off I can still see that a Miller is about 1/4" smaller than a Lucas. Ron

Thanks Ron

It looks like I'm the proud owner of a Velocette headlamp glass

I'll give you your money back for it Ron

Sorry Ron, I don't think I've had my moneys worth out of it yet.

Is it a genuine sample of KG No.3 Paint??

I think that it is Rob, but the oxidation has meant that it's a bit yellower and less green than when applied.

Nieuwe pagina 1