Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Carb elbow for Vokes filter

Asking around in the past I was told the castings for the elbows are difficult to make and cost prohibitive etc... Which is why they aren't reproduced. What I dont get is that someone is reproducing those death trap girder forks for 16H's which have some pretty complexe castings. I wish these people would re-direct their efforts to making item's such as these elbows which would sell like hotcakes if they were of any quality and a decent price. If they can reproduce a complete fork for the price they are asking, I would think the elbows could be made for a decent price. I am of course writing this in the hopes that they might monitor this site and decide to do it!

Re: Carb elbow for Vokes filter

Sam they would need one or a good drawing to copy. The guys who have the originals are guarding them

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

samuel if you sent me your email address i will send you a couple of photos showing what i have done using a later model elbow

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Hi Samuel.

Just Google, man..

http://smmotorco.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=140&zenid=sd0ehoiau9hvnn26rl5tvjajc2

Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

That doesn't really like the original war time elbow at all and needs a lot of changing to make it only look a little like it.

Here a picture of mine.

Henk

Vokes filter elbow piece

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Correct Henk.

I do see now that there is quite a difference.
Will keep an eye opened for it..

Cheers,
Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

There don't seems to be a lot around but I managed to find one so why not anybody else too.

Henk.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Yes, I know, you'd need an original from which to make a mold, and I undertand the turn off it is sending something like that to the India or Pakistan etc... Probably wont come back. Henk I think you should take one for the team and risk it! I'm kidding of course

For our Welbike project back in 2006 we had some Villiers exhaust manifolds of the proper lentgh cast locally in the Netherlands.
If there is any demand, and the loan of an original can be organised, I always can find out about price.
Mind you, the mould for the hollow casting of app. 16 cm. was quite expensive, well over € 600!

Rob

email (option): rvanmeel@wanadoo.nl

this is how i did it on my bike

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

I am sure it can be viable in the Western world. I tried to have some parts made in India, and all that happened is that prices charged are higher than the initial batch that we had made in the Netherlands!
They are not half daft out there!
But it can be done, just need the loan of an original.

email (option): rvanmeel@wanadoo.nl

Ron Pier
Sam they would need one or a good drawing to copy. The guys who have the originals are guarding them

Ron, and forum,

I have several, and have been trying for the last 20 years to have them copied! as some people know, I have lent Peter Long of Cornucopia my original filter and elbow connection, and he had the filters made, better then any other copies on the market, he asked several of his supliers to have the elbows made, and nobody could do it for an affordable price!

It seems, that due to the nature of the castings, and how they have to function, ie. slide into each other, you need steel casting moulds, just like carbs are made, and that is the snag, it's just too costly to have these made.

But with new technology at hand, new drawings are made up, using a 3D scanner, where plastic patterns can be made, and these can be used for sandcasting.

Hope to have some samples next year, and those who know me, I only go for quality, and hate cheap copies that don't fit or look like something out of a sci-fi movie.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Nieuwe pagina 1