Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pinion sleeve problem

hi everyone. After getting fedup & embarrassed with my WM 20 leaving an oily mess everywhere,i decided to take the advice on here & change the gearbox main bearing for one with seals.I duly ordered a 6207 2RS & started to strip the gearbox, all went well until i removed the pinion sleeve which came out with the bearing attached.Could anyone who has done this job please advise me on how to remove the bearing from the pinion sleeve as this has got me baffled. Thanks

email (option): michaelggilbert@btinternet.com

Re: Pinion sleeve problem

You should use a bearing splitter, they are available from "machine Mart" if you are in the UK, basically these are two wedges that are pulled in to each other by two bolts. The wedges pull the bearing away from the pinion. If you aren't in the UK have a look on the "machine Mart" website so you know what you are looking for and see if anyone supplies a similar item in your country.
The bearing housing may be damaged and may have caused an excess of oil on the floor. If it is only slightly loose you can use Loctite bearing fit to hold it in place

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Thankyou Dave. I'll look into the bearing splitter. The bearing was tight in the housing,so i can assume the sleeve is very tight on the bearing.

mike i was thinking of doing the same this winter does the all the gears come out as one unit or is it loads of gear bit by bit i want it to be a simple job

Occasionally the sleeve gear will be tight in the gearbox bearing and both parts will come out together.. Usually the gear will come out and leave the bearing in place.
Heat the casing to about the temperature of boiling water before fitting the new bearing and apply a little Loctite to the outside diameter if you suspect the fit in the casing may be a tad slack.
I generally remove the 'inner' seal from the bearing to allow oil into it, though strictly speaking this is optional.
Check the sleeve gear bushes carefully for excessive play on the mainshaft and renew if necessary.
The shaft may have some wear on it...if this is the case it can be cylindrically ground to restore a clean surface for the bushes. Remove the minimum to achieve this. Bushes will then have to be custom made and finish machined to suit the mainshafts final diameter.
Ideally the clearance between the shaft and bushes should be not less than .0015" and as close to that clearance as you can get it.
Standard diameter for the mainshaft is .872"-.873"...Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

Thankyou Ian, and Roger,The job is quite straight forward if you don't have trouble with the wretched pinion sleeve being stuck.I have a small maintenance manual by Air Publications No 1657B and it clearly shows the arrangment of the gear clusters/selector forks etc as you replace them in the casing.

Nieuwe pagina 1