Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
changing frame on my matchless g3l 1942

been to my local DVLA testing centre because i've changed my frame and the new frame has a different frame number to the old frame their trying to put me on a Q plate because i am changing the identity how do i stand.

email (option): michael.rutland@homail.co.uk

Re: changing frame on my matchless g3l 1942

Hi Mike....Bad mistake!...you should have asked that question before engaging with the DVLA.
Major changes to a vehicle or if you just tell them you have built one from parts(even if they are all the right parts) will result in a Q plate because it is not an 'original' vehicle with all the major components (as manufactured) still present.
Once the vehicle has a Q plate it cannot be removed.
I had a friend who had an A10 with a Q plate and the solution was another logbook and a mod to the frame number. He then informed the DVLA that the Q plated bike had been scrapped.
Have you gone past the enquiry stage or are you into their computer system with the vehicle details? If you are there is no way back ....Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

The best way I've found is to say it is a barn find, along with a dating letter and this usually does it!
PS, maybe Henk can lend you his stamps!!

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Sadly, reading the DVLA website, this is now the correct procedure but they have not explained what they think should happen to the tens of thousands of machines which have received second hand frames in the past and retained original numbers.

They used to have a 'points' system and if no other components were changed then the swap was accepted. However, they now state that only a new frame may be used.

This is probably based more on cars where the chassis is indeed the identity rather than just a few brazed tubes.

It is likely that this over-tightening of procedures is in reaction to the abuses which have occurred in order to obtain free road tax. In the car world, Series 1 Land rovers TDi s with coil springing are legendary and the motorcycle equivalent is the Indian Bullet rebuilt into a 1950s frame and declared to be 'historic' - These abuses have now come back to haunt the genuine restorer.

If it were me, I'd tell them that in view of the application of a 'Q' plate, you no longer wished to substitute frames (which you were only doing anyway as you'd been given one which was already powder-coated !) You can then do the 'necessary' at your leisure.

Yes I agree with the above. If you can, I would withdraw the application. Then just get a dating letter on the new frame number and register the bike as a restored barn find. I've been exactly there myself.

Or put the old frame back.....If you follow. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1