Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Yellow stripe

Photobucket

I know this stripe has something to do with the balance/distributed weight....is it something to do with the loading of the bikes into a glider.....??
Jimmy
Apologies to Paul Crisp whose picture of this I borrowed...........

Re: Yellow stripe

That is exactly what it is for.....

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

Many thanks for that....can you tell me how it's worked out...............where in the glider are the bikes situated and how the stripe comes into play during this operation...........
Thanks again
Jimmy

i think its just for lifting onto truck/ships with a crane and sling i cant see why gliders as the bike would have been rolled in and out and if lifted it would be 2 men at least one either end i will have the light end

It was also to do with distributing the weight evenly in the glider. It must have been bloody frightening landing one in a ploughed field, in the dark with a ton of Jeeps or motorcycles in the back. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

It would be nice to see the other side of this bike. I think we would see a yellow strip for distributing the weight while loading it in an airplane.

Henk.

Yellow strip

email (option): hum@quicknet.nl

Orchard & Madden's book has a nice picture of a G3 chained down in a Dakota. Unfortunately, a timing side shot so no weight distribution line visible.

However, it does show how they were stowed across the fuselage with the point approximating to the marking in line with the centre of the load bed.

The line of mgravity works like this: the loading table of a specified load of a Horsa glider gives the bulkhead numbers of where what load should be: line up bulkhead and centre of gravity marking and Bob's your uncle.
In practice it is said that after loading, the glider pilot or the co-pilot made sure of a even weigth distribution by hanging on the tail and thus lifting the front end?

email (option): rvanmeel@wanadoo.nl

A couple of pictures of fully laden gliders. I cannot find a picture of any bike showing a yellow stripe. I will have to search the net again.

Glider
Norton Big 4 Training With Airborne

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

Great info. Also no problem with using my Bike picture.
I put them on for reference for all to see.

email (option): pcrisp@pipistrelle18.karoo.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1