Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Altette Horn

My WM 20 (1942 / 1943) has a Lucas Altette HF 317 horn. It has a chrome clamping ring with dome nuts so it does not look as a wartime horn. I am going to clean and repaint it. However dismantling is a problem. This model has no adjustment screws at the back of the horn. Especially the diaphragm lock nut (round with three notches) is a problem. I made a special tool but no success. Who has experience with this type of horn? Thanks in advance, Lammert de Vries

Re: Altette Horn

Google Taff the horns for loads of information.

www.taffthehorns.com/

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron I was there. Only pictures of the outside.
Thank you for answering.Lammert

Loads of pictures I know. But you can email Taff for advice. He's always more helpful if you can talk to him about Speedway or Sand racing and such.

I haven't searched his website for a long time but there are lots of categories on the left to click.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Lammert,

That is a pre war Altette you got there. I am sure that Taff will be more than willing to swap that for the correct model for your bike (restored). He restores horns and does that very well.

As Ron says he is a funny bird though...

Regards,
Leon

email (option): leonhop3@planet.nl

Yes, Taff is quite a guy! He has restored several rare horns for me, and he would be the man to repair Tutankhamens Golden Chariot horn
About my Triumph 21 horn, he sent me a 4 page, handwritten letter with all kinds of details. Don't be in a hurry, but it's worth the wait

email (option): viaconsu@planet.nl

Beste Lammert,
ik heb precies dezelfde toeter met hetzelfde probleem.
Ik wil hem deels uit elkaar halen, maar het lukt niet. De aluminium ring zit vast en ik durf geen kracht te zetten. Weet je al wat de oplossing is ? Ik ben beniewd. Michel.

email (option): vanderzandemedema@snelnet.net

Michel, I am waiting for an answer from Taff The Horn.
The aluminium disc you can not turn, lift it.
Regards, Lammert

Lammert, any progress on dismantling your horn. I'm in at a similar state trying to dismantle my horn, can't seem to remove the centre disc or the outer bezel.

email (option): spacemonkeym@gmail.com

Matt, from Taff The Horn I got some general information, not specific dismantling information. As my horn is functioning I decided to stop dismantling. I will clean up only the outside. My outer bezel could be removed after giving it the original shape. The centre disc by lifting (not turning).
Regards, Lammert de Vries

Nieuwe pagina 1