KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
KBGS legends

A recent mention of ducking reminded me that I heard about this supposed ritual for initiating all first years long before I started at KBGS in 1954. But the reality was that I was never even threatened with it at any time in my first year, nor did I hear of any of my friends being ducked.
This made me think about other KBGS legends and whether they were true. Like that about the boy who could eat razor blades and plastic rulers. Or the boy called Leslie Goter who on the first day in his form class each year when everyone had to call out their names to the new teacher, surname first followed by initials, was able with impunity to tell the teacher to go to hell!
Any truth in these myths?
Any legends of your own to share?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1954-59

Current location (optional) Denholme (garethwhittaker99@hotmail.com)

Re: KBGS legends

Yes, Goater L. was in my class starting in ID 1953 and I remember the incident well. I associate the Music Room, rightly or wrongly, as to where I heard it first? Two recollections: he was once congratulated by Gilbert Swift for picking up the ball, running most of the length of the pitch and scoring a try. Personally, being on the Scrap Heap, I lost touch with the star rugby players.

Apart from that, I remember him only as a quiet lad.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1953-1958

Current location (optional) Brighouse