KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: It was 50 years ago today...

The other uniform outlets were Chadwicks down High Street and Selwyns on North Street. Sutton Amateurs are giving the stage production of Hi De Hi this weekend. I have a small part in it and was going to wear my striped school blazer. Unfortunately nature has put a stop on that idea - it doesn't fit anymore.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-1964

Current location (optional) Keighley

Bloody things shrink don't they David. Poor quality I reckon.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) leeds

Evocative. Sums up what most of us experienced - though this was the first day of my last year. The school had changed a great deal from that which I first entered in 1952 - and from what I read elsewhere in these postings the changes continued apace. More recollections, please.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Good to see your memory is still there Geoff and that50 years hasn't dimmed the grey cells
I caught the bus on my first morning along with my cousin Michael(Jim) Green and Aidrian Allen
My other cousin Peter Green was already there and had warned us of the duckings and the crush in the corridor where new boys were hung from the overhead heating pipes
Luckily we made it without incident and were left to be allocated a form I was in 1C in the Alice street annex
We all had new satchels ,mine came from Hargreaves the saddlers
and the reversible rugby shirts from Willis Walkers
Green and White along with out PT Kit ,new pens (the posh lads had parkers)and rulers
I still had my tie and cap until my daughters used them for a fancy dress party
Good Times Geoff but you are certainly making me feel old

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-66

Current location (optional) Cumbria

I well remember the Alice St. Annexe and being made to stand in lines with the sun-light streaming through the windows as we frightendly waited for Harry Milton to speak out our names.
I also remember"Creep" making us stand at the front of the Form-Room- possibly 33. Me being 1st and Geoff. being last to sit in our allocated desks.
I dare bet on that day Geoff never thought that later in life he would himself teach the present Archbishop of Canterbury to be a Vicar!!
Scrapheap Challenge has nothing on us K.B.G.S.lads!!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959 -1966

Current location (optional) Haworth