KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Fred Trueman statue

At this time of Ashes joy I have also been glad to read that an imposing statue of the great Freddie Trueman is making progress towards it eventual unveiling in Skipton High Street in March 2010. It will be seven feet tall and cost £90,000. Worth every penny in my book.

Let's hope the sculptor captures iconic Fred in full flight, brylcreemed hair all over the place and ball heading for the Aussie middle stump. According to the Craven Herald his dynamic presence will add another 100,000 visitors to the town.

Current location (optional) Denholme

Re: The Fred Trueman statue

"Neville Lumbers" please email me to confirm your identity. Thanks, Chris.

You're for it, Lumbers. That's like having "See me" written at the bottom of an essay.

Which ex-KBGS (naughty) boy now lives in Tonbridge, Kent? Suggestions from the other KBGS old boys please.

In summer, 2001, I was driving through Gargrave when a burly old chap walked straight out of the chemist's and crossed the road. Nearly ran him over. A blast on the horn produced a waved apology. It was Fred, obviously with something on his mind.
To think I could have killed the Greatest Living Yorkshireman. I would have shortened his life by about a month.
It's a scandal he was never knighted. Perhaps he was too much of an iconoclast.
I wonder what honours will be bestowed on the charismatic carthorse Flintoff at the next gongfest?

I suspect that W D (Duncan) Townson, from Eastburn in my days at KBGS, may still live in the Tonbridge area. I believe he was a teacher at Tonbridge School for many years.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1937-44

Current location (optional) Huntingdon

I think it's Asa Briggs. He allus was a mischievous little scamp.

(Lord) Asa Briggs was living in Lewes , Sussex, when I had correspondence with him a couple of years ago. (He was a school mate of my fathers at Parkwood Primary). I have the letter still.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 48-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Re Fred,
His lawyer was J P Mewis who was our captain for Bradley C C and he often came down to watch and chuck a couple of "slow'ns!" down for us. I was waiting to go in to bat after tea and he came along and said I'll just send thee a slow one to warm thee up. S--t I'm glad it wasn't a medium one! He generally showed up at the Cravendale association presentation night and gave a speach. On one of his tour to West Indies the hotel clerk appologised for the excessive flies on check in. and asked him in the morning did he have any trouble with the flies. "No' said Fred "I bunched em", what do you mean? "I Shit in one Corner" !!!!!!!!!!!!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1954-58

Current location (optional) Melbourne Aus

Surely IW to have knocked over and killed the great Fred Trueman in his final days would have ensured your place in Yorkshire folklore.

Current location (optional) Bournemouth

What? Like John Wilkes Booth, Lee Harvey Oswald and Mark Chapman? No thanks!

Those deaths are of nothing compared to the great Fred Trueman. Here's a question for IW and others? Where can you purchase a pint of excellent bitter ale in central London for less than £2. When most pints of bitter cost £3 to £3.50?

Current location (optional) Bournemouth

Not a huge fan of that there London, but I do know for a fact that you can get a pint of Landlord at the Chelsea Arts Club for £1.90. And sup with the likes of Jimmy Page and the bloke that played Tinker in Lovejoy.