KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: KBGS Reunion, 11/09/09

David,
Do you think they'll let you on the bus to Utley carrying the 1946 framed panorama? They should do. After all they let us on in mucky rugby kit didn't they? Try and bring it anyway. I have a 1950 version [unframed] which I'll bring along together with a 1951 KGGS panoramic which might be of interest - we could try to sort out who married who etc.. Are you going to be able to persuade any of your 5B pals to come along too? Gordon Wareing, Joe Galvin, 'Whaley' Moore, Saddington, Mick Green, Dobbin, Pugh and Barney McGrew?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 -50

Current location (optional) Norfolk UK

Numbers have shaped up nicely whilst I've been away in Greece. Now over 50 participants. Latest (and apologies to any inadvertently omitted) are: T Greenway; Robert and June Bracken; FK and Mrs Whalley; Roy Feather; JN Smith; CH Hodgson; Keith Hebden; Bob Hilery; Ian Ramsden; Mr & Mrs W. Clark; David Milner; George Lambert; GH Newton; Mr PH Nichols and Denis Pickles.

Apologies from WW Nicholson and Richard Grainger.

Best wishes from Bruce Grime (near Sydney, Australia)

Doug, just a short note to wish you a great time on Friday. As you know I am in Keighley once week but always midweek. Good luck with the event.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 48-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Many thanks, Brian. Maybe we can get together another 'mini' before too long?

Doug

Just to say thanks to all concerned with organising and preparing the REUNION.

Meeting former school friends for the first time in 55 years was very illuminating.
The " I wouldn't have recognised you, but for your badge !" comment was heard frequently, but the aftermath and camaraderie following these comments was heartwarming and the next reunion was being discussed as the party broke up at 4.30pm.

My meeting with Eastwood Junior schoolteacher, author and rugby commentator Mr Henry Bird and Mr G.E.Rannard (History teacher and cricket aficionado) certainly swept back the years and brought back pleasant memories of early schooldays.
Meeting students from the same era at KBGS brought instant recollection of sports activities/prowess shown during the early 50s. Discussions involving names of colleagues some still with us but, alas, some who have passed, was supplemented by an exquisite buffet leaving everyone cherishing the arrangement of the next REUNION

MANY THANKS !! from Cannon.

I feel sure Arthur S will commit it to poetry !!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1950/1955

Current location (optional) Keighley

Experiences shared and sentiments endorsed. Hear! Hear!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

A wonderful afternoon, and I can only repeat the positive comments above.
Unfortunately, I don't currently have access to the software I need to process and send the RAW files of the group photograph but I will tend to this immediately I return to Oz.
Many thanks again to Doug and others who were involved in the organisation - a great job well done!

trevor

Sounds like a good show all round. Well done to those who organised it. We head off to Italy this week and then I hope to be in Keighley for a few days early October when we will be having a reunion of Cross Roads lads who won the West Bradford Junior Cricket League Championship in 1952 when we were all 15-16 year olds. Sadly, 4 of the lads are no longer with us,3 of them ex KBGS. Last time we got together was 2001. Old friends are so special and the older I get the more I value them. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland, NZ

The 2009 reunion page is up.

Thanks to DAVID (Bailey) SEELEY

For all his sharp photographs

Dennis. Liked tour comments but despite the name never could whistle. If your uncle had not started his own milk round we would not have lost your custom.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 42-46

Current location (optional) BINGLEY

As a direct consequence of the notice in the 'Keighley News' several more old boys have contacted me and added their names to the mailing list: Bill Place, Denis Peel, Richard Field, John Toothill and Barrie Pearce.

Trevor, I have just sent you a long email only to have it bounce back on me - your mail box is apparently full. I think you are taking this holiday business far too seriously!

Best wishes, none the less... wherever you are !

Doug

Sorry about that Derrick. I could have sworn that you could whistle - not tunes! - the kind of whistle you use when controlling a dog. But evidently my memory is playing tricks.

After my uncle Walter started his milk round in opposition to Frank Ingham, I delivered a few bottles before going to school but never graduated to delivery from a bike! Nice to meet up again at the re-union, if only briefly.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 -50

Current location (optional) Norfolk UK

Off to Paris tomorrow Doug. Despite lots of notice it appears my emails are piling up at home and filling the mail tray! I'll clear it all up on my return on October 8.

cheers
trev

Current location (optional) edinburgh

Doug Thompson
As a direct consequence of the notice in the 'Keighley News' several more old boys have contacted me and added their names to the mailing list: Bill Place, Denis Peel, Richard Field, John Toothill and Barrie Pearce.

Would Barrie Pearce be the lad from Cross Hills way who was in my class early 50s? Would love to catch up with Barrie if it is the same one,when I'm in town early October. Cheers

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ usually but now in Italy on my way to Keighley!!

Bill

It is indeed the same Barrie Pearce and I will not only let you have his contact details but will let him know of your intention to try and contact him. However, I don't have my 'Reunion' folder with me at the moment, so these things will have to wait until next week.

Doug

One or two requests came out of the Reunion, as follows:

CH Hodgson asks that Derek Newiss make available on KBGS website 'copies of team photographs' as well as copies of 'The Keighlian' and Speech Day Prize Givings.

He would also like addresses and telephone numbers for Terry Marston and Bob Town (to be able to send photographs to them).

Roy Butterfield is looking for anyone who might have a copy of the group photo of the first Reunion back in 1994 - he would like to buy a copy. He also requests that the reunions become an annual event... ! Others might wish to express their views on this last point.

Doug

All the said photographs are on the Sports section of photographs on the website.

As far as the School magazines I have 15 copies of "The Keighlian"
Christmas 1950 to Summer 1955 (inclusive) plus the "Report of the KBGS year ending July 31st 1955"

If anyone has any interest in specific Reports/articles I could scan and send the information if contacted on my email address.

To scan and send them to Chris F, would keep him busy for years and wouldn't appease anyone who attended KBGS outside these dates, by monopolizing the website.

Off track I know, but are you, Derek, any relation to Don Newiss who lived at Exley Head in the '50s and '60s?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) leeds

Another Old Boy has contacted me as a result of the piece in the KN; he is David W Ingham, who attended the School from '56 to'61. I have his contact details should anyone remember him and wish to say 'hello'. Please contact me via my personal e-mail.

Doug

Shaun,
He is one of my cousins

Donald, his elder brother Graham (ex KBGS) and younger brother John are still living in the Keighley area and John lives in the family home in Wheathead Lane.

My brother is Geoffrey (ex KBGS from 1966) a rugby playing cohort of Messrs Jeanes, Whittaker and Manton etc., is also still living in the Keighley area.

Doug Thompson
Bill

It is indeed the same Barrie Pearce and I will not only let you have his contact details but will let him know of your intention to try and contact him. However, I don't have my 'Reunion' folder with me at the moment, so these things will have to wait until next week.

Doug

Thanks for that Doug. I will be in Keighley from late tomorrow, Sat 3 Oct. David Seeley has my contact number there. Cheers, Bill

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ usually but now in Italy on my way to Keighley!!

Bill, it will be Sunday before I can let you have his address, but if memory serves me I think he lives fairly locally. And David, if you see this, could you let me have Bill's contact details via a.d.thompson@hull.ac.uk . Many thanks.

Best wishes

Doug

I see a couple of visitors from Australia. Anyone from the Sydney area, Randwick in particular. I have adaughter and grandson there, Anne works at the Sydnet Childrens Hospital. Any of you Ozzies know it ?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) '47ish

Current location (optional) West Wales

I've sent the reunion group images to Chris for inclusion on the site. One of all the lads and one with partners.
I've also sent 3 images from the Kirkcudbright camp site which I just had to visit during our drive up the West coast of Scotland. One is of the actual site where the tents were pitched and the others are updates to other images of the camp hut.
Wasn't the litle bridge (Nunn bridge)just over the road from the hut? I couldn't find it on the day.

Have these appeared yet? 'Cos I'm blowed if I can find them.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

Hello Alec. In reply to your question regarding the whereabouts of photos sent in by Trevor Pickles. The answer is likely to be that they are delayed being posted by our Website Manager/Controller, Chris Firth, being on holiday(?)in the UK at present. The few photos of the Reunion that I sent to him on the 9th Oct, only just managed to be included on the site on that day, as he was packing for his trip! The Reunion Photos already posted are to be found on the main 'Home' page under the heading 'The School', sub-heading 'Reunion 2009',in RED. Some lovely photos taken by Gill here. So have patience, Alec. It might be another week or more, yet before Chris returns and get the chance to put Trevor's photo's on site. Hope that explains. David

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50

Thanks for the Panoramic photos !!

It was suggested, however, that it looks like the casting line-up for
" Last of the Summer Wine" !!