KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Routes to K.B.G..S.

I always felt sorry for my contemporaries at Oakbank when they had to change`buses in the Town to arrive on time.
Personally,I used to walk to both school sites but well remember the sight of the KDB double-decker coming into Cavendish St. full of K.G.G.S.pupils as I waited for the 4:15. No 6 Fell Lane `bus
No doubt posters on this site will have many memories to impart of their "progress to and from K.B.G.S."Another one of mine is via the "Railway" at Lawkholme!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959 -1966

Current location (optional) Haworth

Re: Routes to K.B.G..S.

Routes to KBGS

Leave Byrl Street at 8.25am approx - then via Eric Street-Lawkholme Lane-
East Avenue (across the Railway bridge) continue up East Avenue to Skipton Road junction .

Depending on the road conditions on Skipton Road, I hoped to be there in time to wave at the KGGS special who's passengers included Mary Day, Jacqueline (Jill) Day, Beryl Hanson and Janet Ingham. (All from the Airedale Heifer area)

As an 11 year old, the kudos of having such a "meeting" each day did wonders for one's ego and started the day off perfectly !!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1950/1955

Current location (optional) Keighley

Re: Routes to/from K.B.G..S.

The school bell used to go at exactly the time my bus home was due to leave the bus station (ten to four, I think; the next bus being at twenty past). So if I was a good little boy and sat up straight at my desk as soon as it went and I was allowed to leave the room first I could sometimes avoid a thirty minute wait at the bus stop by dashing out along Lord St, across Cavendish St at the lights, south down North St and around the corner past the roundabout and catch the bus at the next stop on route in Bridge St. But it was always close; often I’d be running alongside the bus itself, satchel under arm like a rugby ball, heart-thumpingly hoping the lights would be on my side.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1954-59

Current location (optional) Denholme (garethwhittaker99@hotmail.com)

Worked wonders, Gareth, and explains some of your remarkable runs on the wing for the school XV. Is your style of busing a form of training?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

My journey from home to the Alice Street gate was not a challenge - and I was never nicked by the sub-prefect thought police for lateness.
Sitting in assembly, I was always amazed by the number of little and big kids who came into assembly, shepherded by Preefs, at the end of the religious observance bit. They filled out (and often busted) the small floor space in front of the notice board - though their names never appeared on detention lists for lateness.Old Nick tolerated their peasant intrusion. They were the Barlick brethren, with Earby off-shoots and Queensberry rules - sort of untouchables. The common (mis)understanding was that, as they had suffered insufferable hardship in descending from the Pennines to endure Airedale indoctrination, we mere attendees should respect their pilgrimage.
It wasn't until I had an interview that required me to catch the 08-40 Skipton to Leeds train that their cover was blown. The buggars spilled off the train I was awaiting and spent the next hour eyeing the fleshpots of Keighley before sloping into assembly at 09-30 for Nev's musings - eh, boy!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

If the bus for Oakworth was leaving the bus station as I arrived, it was possible to hare along Cook Lane, up Low Street and catch it at the Cross sometimes, depending I suspect, on how many red lights it encountered. [There was no time to gaze into Bruce Johnson's window.]

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1953-1958

Current location (optional) Brighouse