KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The 2009 Ashes Series

I had hoped that my old contemporary, Paul Edwards, Cowling/Ozzie exile,(and/or his other roughly contemporary ex-pats) would have opened this posting - with the usual Ozzie boasts.
A draw at Sofia Park,was a victory to England. The Ozzies couldn't deliver.
Further, the Welsh influence was destructive to England's finer chances - if they had cut the grass in the outfield, Monty Panasar would have set a world record.
Under pressure to make a prediction - Both attacks were crap (Ozzies will be crap through the series) (England will recover and shock).
The challenge to the Ozzies is that they can bat as well throughout the series.
The challenge to England is that they can avoid throwing their wickets away - and make big scores. - 'Cos they are better than the Ozzie attack.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Re: The 2009 Ashes Series

Oh dear, Terry - as always I find it hard to resist your blowhard inaccuracies. It is sad that in your dotage all you have to prop you up is seriously premature hubris.

I note you refer to mysterious people known as Ozzies. I'm not sure who they are, other than a dysfunctional family of former rock stars. We Aussies, on the other hand, do not have to boast about our sporting prowess - a nation of just 21 million people has done rather well, thank you.

What a sad little country you must represent, Terry. You have to play your games in a foreign land - actually the land of my fathers - and you have to rely on foreigners to play for you. Be that as it may, it will be interesting to see how much of your hubris is left at the end of the series. Irrespective of the result, I think I can predict that as always Australia will try to win, England will try not to lose. This much is axiomatic, and this much is very, very important.

Although there are serious and quite justifiable moves to have the Melbourne Cricket Ground recognised as the true home of cricket, until that happy day Lord's will have to serve the purpose. We don't mind - we have won 13 times there. True to form, you have managed 13 draws but - oh dear again - your wins there are somewhere between zero and two.

Diddums, diddums, diddums - as a Latin scholar you'll know the meaning of that. You'll also know the virtue of modest stillness and humility, lest you provoke Aussies towards the action of the tiger.

Keep taking the pills, Terry.

Current location (optional) Melbourne

We wont beat them until there at least one yorkshireman in the team, preferably two.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

You talk a good series, Paul, even though there's been only one match which, judging by your lack of comment, you obviously missed. There is cricket to be played. Focus comment on that. You clearly didn't see any of the game.Your diversionary debating tactics you must have picked up after leaving England, shades of Ricky chatting to the umpires after each decision he didn't like. To win a test series (or a county championship) you must have an attack that can bowl out your opponents twice in the match. The tourists' attack clearly failed to do that even with the help of the England batsmen in both innings. I'll give you Hilfenhaus and Lee - the rest are barely county standard. More injuries there would put a barely credible attack in jeopardy. Your World ranked No 3 was consistently bowling so wide he couldn't be reached.Not even Bret Lee's coaching from the boundary could work an improvement. Now your boys love the crease - I'll give them that - but they'll have to score more quickly to allow more time in the field to bowl out their opponents. Otherwise they will have to rely on England's kamikaze batsmen - which nearly gave them a win in Cardiff. As for that venue, the game in the UK is governed by the England and Wales Cricket Board.

I wonder why the Umpires can't extend the day's play based on the time taken for ALL the interruptions (necessary and created).
This would ensure that the time outs wouldn't affect the number of overs and time allowance.
Both sides are guilty of time-wasting but this can be nullified by a slight change in the rules.
As for playing under lights with a RED cricket ball, this was a "crowd" pleaser and NOT in the ethics of the game !!

Cricket is becoming the new football with overpaid players aggressively confronting the appointed Match Officials FOR THE SAKE OF IT !!

THE GOD, MONEY, TO THE FORE IN ANOTHER SPORT !!

Great examples for all the younger supporters, watch out for similar occurrences in junior cricket !!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1950/1955

Current location (optional) Keighley

Terry: I am reluctant to use this excellent forum to counter and hopefully remedy your inane bleatings. This is because I am worried that people who don't really know you will read the dialogue and form the opinion that you have finally lost your trams and trains.

Let me illustrate: each morning in winter I feed my two pet cows in the paddock. They are glad to see me and say 'moo'. That is the general limit of their conversation, but it seems to me they are delivering their message much more clearly than you.

Your contention that there's only been one match so far is indisputable - but if you look at that game, you'll surely recognise that but for bad light, bad weather and bad sportsmanship Australia would have won by an innings.

You evidently went to the Magoo school of cricket analysis, since you criticise Australia's bowlers. I know it all happened a long time ago - several days at least - but even you will remember our bowlers managed 19 wickets while yours could claim just six.

I honestly don't care who wins the series as long as it is played in good spirit. I rather fancy Australia's chances, based on what we've seen so far, but it really doesn't matter. What does matter is that Test cricket itself survives, and currently it is in danger of being overtaken by that 20-20 nonsense. That's why it is important not to have physiotherapists wandering around the place blatantly wasting time so that England can celebrate a 'hard fought' draw. I didn't notice any Australians celebrating the fact we had managed to avoid defeat, at least not on my TV. Obviously the coverage we get in Australia is different from yours - over here it looked as though we deserved to win.

Remind me to bring you some fresh hay next time I'm over there.

Current location (optional) melbourne

2 points Paul;

Firstly, winning is what it's about, not looking like you deserved to. England look deserved winners at Lord's, but they're not there yet.

Secondly, with regard to Terry's hubris, it doesn't come close to matching that of Glenn McGrath. A comparison at the end of the series should prove entertaining one way or t'other.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958 - 65

Current location (optional) West Midlands

Final morning of 2nd test, and England seem to be striving hard "not to lose" it.

Na then Terry. 'T southern hemisphere seems to have gone a bit quiet for't past few days.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) leeds

Leave Paul alone and let him and Ricky "regroup" (?). Must be a Cowling thing.

Love your subtle irony, Terry. Congratulations on the composite side's historic win at Lord's. We were probably good enough to beat the Poms, but not the Poms plus Strauss, Pietersen and - your best player by a mile - Rudi Koertzen.

It was thrilling to watch Flintoff in his pomp once again, but sobering to think that he will soon be seen only in that stupid 20-20 contrivance, along with other greats such as Gilchrist and Warne. There is a very great danger that before too long all the grace and good sportsmanship will disappear from our beautiful game, hastened by all the slather and whack and big money that has been introduced. It will inevitably lead to more bribes and - not impossible - more tragedies along the lines of Hansie Cronje. Long before that happens we should take a good look at what cricket is all about and whether it is worth preserving together with such concepts as good manners and the subjunctive tense. The beauty of cricket is that Yanks can't understand how anyone could enjoy a five day game with unfathomable rules, interrupted by rain and ending without result.

On a more serious note, umpiring standards have been woeful so far. That most of their errors favoured England is not important and may be reversed in the next game. The thing is - these blokes are paid big money for doing their job, but they don't do it very well and don't correctly use the available technology.

Oh - and if Strauss isn't a cheat he'll do until the real thing comes along. Captains should lead by example, and the example he has set is to appeal when he knows damn fine the catch has been grounded.

Time to feed the cows and see what they have to say about it all.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-7

I find myself very much in agreement with Paul's views on 20-20 and feel much the same about limited-overs "cricket" in general. For many years, way before the inception of 20-20, our players have seemed unable to escape the limited-overs mindset of waving the bat at everything, instead of applying themselves to treating each ball on merit (OK, Boycott style if you like!).
For some reason this trait seems more entrenched in England test players than those of opposing nations; so much so, I feel there's a case for demanding that players under contract to the international set-up be prohibited from all forms of limited-overs competition. I appreciate that this would require a completely different "one-day" eleven, but so what? - It's rubbish anyway!
20-20 can only serve to accelerate the demise of the real game; suggestions are already being mooted about reducing the number of four-day Championship matches in a season, so as to accommodate more of it. The obvious financial attraction cannot be overlooked, of course, as this type of competition provides the instant gratification sought by the yob element. Let's face it; 20-20 will replace soccer during the summer months and, whichever team loses, its supporters will still be able to enjoy an after-match punch-up. By all means, keep it for the second string and has-beens, but don't allow it to contaminate "our beautiful game".

Brian, I didn't know that you could wax so lyrical!

Indeed, Brian......

It's the International Cricket Council's version of "Bread and Circuses". (Panem et circenses,Paul)

Circuses for the masses and bread (whole loaves) for the players and officials.

As the Edgbaston Test approaches, I see no reason to resile from my original confidence that England will win The 2009 Ashes. I am happy to do this in full public gaze and defy Paul Edwards' disputing this without his resorting to his previously unexpected abuse. I welcome contradiction and hopefulness.

My original view is further reinforced by the absence of Bret Lee (probably for the whole series). Without him the Auss(OZZ)ies do not have 20 wickets in their armoury. The absence of Petersen ( who has not made an impact on the series so far - Gooning apart) will have little effect. If Freddie cannot complete the series, the series advantage to either side (beyond the result so far) is nil. It simply means that each side has an attack incapable of taking 20 wickets in the remaining matches - freak conditions permitting. The Aussies can bat for 3 days in the mistaken view that they can take 10 wickets.And so the series has already been decided. England 1 - Australia - 0 (and, Ricky, be thankful for Sofia Gardens).

On another related issue, as a Yorkshireman who resided in the county until all his children were born there - and in the face of professional advancement - I share Paul's "reservations"(?) about qualification to represent ones county/country at any level in cricket (or any sport).
It's like this, Paul. Somebody makes (or perverts)the rules - usually an unanswerable international committee of know-alls who can predict revenue streams. I reckon you may have some in Australia - remind me, who was Kerry Packer? And how do you describe a qualifying Australian cricketer - born there? - passport carrier? - spawn of an Australian living in Moscow?.
Neighbours and friends of mine in Lawkholmeland (both born in Keighley) were Alan and Trevor Hockey. They were both talented schoolboy footballers. Their dad had come north from Monmouthshire (then administratively an English county) to play rugby league for Keighley. Trevor became an apprentice for Bfd City FC and later moved on to play for several English 1st Division clubs and eventually Wales (of which Monmouthshire - then administratively) was a Welsh county).
When in the '40s/'50s I watched Kly RL at Lawkholme, I was troubled that so many Welsh players were in the team and so few were from Keighley. I could never come to terms with players representing an area when they came from afar.
So what's new. Keighley cricket club included West Indians (Sir) Learie Constantine and Martindale;and Kent and England wicket keeper, Frank Woolley; Lancs and England Eddie Paynter; Yorkshire's Frank Smales - to say nowt of the internationals who played in Lancashire leagues.
I think a rethink is needed but it will be financial expediency which determines the outcome.

Getting a bit repetitive, Terry

Getting a bit repetitive, Terry.

Best thing is to follow the advice of HH Asquith who said: Wait and see. Or do it your way and follow the notoriously fickle Pommy cricket writers who are employed to write something the subs can headline, rather than something that would trouble the shades of Nostradamus or Mother Shipton. As previously stated, I honestly don't care who wins so long as we get entertaining and graceful cricket.

Is that showing hopefulness?

Australia is by no means exempt from the practice of playing non-nationals. A recent example is Kepler Wessels, whose son may well play for England (and Wales) before long, despite having been born in Australia. I don't have a major problem with that - Wessels Snr was prevented from playing for his native South Africe, so what's he supposed to do?

I have long ago abandoned patriotism, chauvinism or nationalism. Life's too short for that nonsense and the world is too small - but (there's always a but) Australia doesn't quite have the long tradition of ring-ins that your mob embrace. Think Ranjitsinji, D'Oliviera, Greig, Lamb and many others. You have had 37 Test players born outside Britain including a couple of Hollioakes born in Melbourne. The list includes the wonderful Colin Cowdrey and the despised Douglas Jardine, both born in India. And you had the incomparable Colin Milburn, who was presumably born on Mars.

If a small country such as Australia can succeed with locals, why can't you, with three times our population?

It would require quite a long, serious book to answer your last question, Paul, but I think two points that might figure prominently in it are (i) you live about three quarters of your lives outdoors in Australia because of your wonderful climate, and that is conducive to outdoor activities which have always included prominently the beautiful, imported sport of cricket. You will doubtless remember from your mis-spent youth as a pom that in this sceptic isle we spend three quarters of the year indoors (including, especially, the summer) because of our abominable climate, which is conducive to nothing much that will demonstrate brilliance on a criket field. And (ii) Australians were a pioneer nation, unwilling (the first convicts) or willing (all other immigrants since), which means they already had a spirit of 'get up and go' to emigrate at all. They fostered, of necessity, a sense of initiative and combativeness, found in most emigrants anywhere. It's perhaps no accident that some of the most promising cricketers playing the first-class game here (weather permitting) are themselves immigrants or children of immigrants, mainly from the Indian sub-continent.

Incidentally, Paul, when you were watching Jim Laker rout the Aussies in 1956, who were you cheering for?

Bring back uncovered wickets, and bring back Derek Underwood!

Everybody is good at something,Paul. Even Australians.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

I think you analysed the situation pretty well there, Doug. And in answer to the Laker question, in those days I would naturally have been supporting England. Tyson and Trueman were my bowling heroes. Laker's performance was record shattering and may never be repeated, but he didn't have the charisma of the fast bowlers. Still, we'd take all of 'em right now.

Doug's analysis was fine - as far as it went. i.e. it covered what the Australians can do - but there was lacking the dimension of "how".
Sledging down our street was confined to snowy days in winter.

Does the team think that if Freddie or Anderson had incurred last minute injuries after the team sheets were put in that Ricky would have agreed to Harmison playing - or do you think he would he have insisted on the rules that one of the nominated 12th men (non batting or bowling) would have to be used.

Well, Terry, your sledging point illustrates my own perfectly. British performances in Winter Olympics have always been abysmal because we only get to sledge for about seven days a year. Same analogy as the cricket.

As to your second point (if I've understood it aright) concerning Aussie 'professionalism', its causes go much wider than the sport's field. Britain used Australia as a dumping ground for its unwanted citizens for the whole of the nineteenth century and Australian society developed on the back of the huge resentment felt, as a result, towards the 'mother country' (as we, sentimentally, liked to think of it!). That resentment filtered early into sports because beating those who patronised you for so long, and in so many different ways, was always sweet. Aussies have grown up on that resentment, handed down from generation to generation. When playing against England, Aussies always have more than cash in mind.

And yes, Paul, agreed. Trueman, Tyson, Statham, Laker, Lock, Wardle (not forgetting Lindwall, Miller, Johnstone, Benaud) achieved hugely and modestly, without all the melodramatic, self-congratulatory gestures of Flintoff and the other nonentities who dis-grace the cricket pitches of today.

Must say, I feel better for that!

Doug

Terry: Yes, that was a nice gesture by your South African captain, but I'm not sure that it makes up for his cheating so far. Umpiring still very poor.

Doug: Not sure Flintoff is a nonentity, although he's no Sobers. Not even a Miller or Botham.

Game and series neatly poised. Australia definitely light on for key players, but I guess we always knew you can't lose Warne, McGrath, Gilchrist,Langer, Martyn, Hayden and replace them the next year.

England bowlers looking good - Onions and Anderson lean and hungry and superfit. Not scary men, but can do the job against batsmen who seem to have self doubt.

No play today at Edgbaston. We have rain to flush the world. So Sky-vesports showed the 2005 drawn Ashes Test from Old Trafford. I thought I must be mistaken when, d'apres Paul, " I didn't notice any Australians celebrating the fact we had managed to avoid defeat, at least not on my TV."

The question I put to the "team" was: "Does the team think that if Freddie or Anderson had incurred last minute injuries after the team sheets were put in that Ricky would have agreed to Harmison playing - or do you think he would he have insisted on the rules that one of the nominated 12th men (non batting or bowling) would have to be used."

Paul, I don't think you (although it was not directed to you alone) answered the question - which was what do you think Ricky ( despite his unpublished ethnic and family background) would have done in these exceptional selection circumstances.?

Just this instant had a mighty thunderbolt and lightning - wish I could interpret your response, Paul.

Terry: Your question doesn't fit the circumstances. You should be asking if Ponting would agree to playing the emergency wicket keeper, in which case I would say yes. I think that following Strauss's concession this will probably be automatic in future. But your guess is as good as mine and I suspect you have decided on a different answer. It seeme Edgbaston is not kind to our players - that's where McGrath rolled his ankle, almost certainly costing us the Ashes. Tish happens.

Doug, I know you have regular contact with Australia and I have only made one trip which included visits to a few maternal relatives who left Bradford, Ilkley and Greengates to settle in Wollongong in the 1940s. Hence your comments about Australian attitudes towards the UK and their impact on sport with Britain - particularly England - set me thinking.
I could never understand, for example, why, as the product of an English working class home, Welsh working class rugby players should vent such venom on the field of play against me because I was not just an opponent - but because I was English. Our families had had the same social and economic challenges and had combined in the same interests - off the field. Why introduce a type of racial hatred on the field? I must confess, shamelessly, that they inspired in me a racially motivated counter-aggression against any Celtic opponent and I gave as I got. Their initiation - not mine. So you say it's similar with the Australians because of the consequences of transportation.
Not having your depth of knowledge re- transportation and ite effects on current Australian society and its sportsmen, Wikipedia gave me this exposition:
"Main article: Convictism in Australia
In 1787, the "First Fleet" departed from England, to found the first colony in Australia, as a penal colony. The arrival at Port Jackson, on 26 January 1788 (now Australia Day) is considered the founding event in the history of Sydney, as well as New South Wales and modern Australia in general. In 1803, Van Diemen's Land (Tasmania) was also settled as a penal colony, followed by the Moreton Bay Settlement (Queensland) in 1824. The other Australian colonies were "free settlements", as non-convict colonies were known. However, Western Australia adopted transportation in 1851, to resolve a long-standing labour shortage. Until the massive influx of free immigrants during the Australian gold rushes of the 1850s, the settler population was dominated by convicts and their descendants.

Transportation from Britain/Ireland officially ended in 1868 although it had become uncommon several years earlier."

So it ended before 1868? God - they nurse a grievance. (Most Wikipedia "Transportation" references were about roads and railways not convicts). What chance an Arab/Israeli settlement - or World peace???

A recent publication by David Horsepool ("The English Rebel - 1000 years of Troublemaking from the Normans to the Nineties") sets out to establish that ENGLISH history is not the Whiggish continuum taught in schools - but that the story of rebels and rebellions is the real secret of the English character. The Norman/Saxon divide was and is the origin and continuum of the English social and establishment divide. At the appropriate times in our history, the English have stood up to arbitrary authority and gained rights. The poor sods who got caught out, for a period of about 100 years, got transported.

So what's the difference between the Aussie and the English test player. OK - so we throw up the occasional PBH May and MC Cowdrey - but we've had 2 Freddies and lots and lots of non-magisterial, ordinary "English rebels" from professional leagues, needing to get away from a life worse than that routinely enjoyed by their Aussie opponents.
And they think they are hard done by and patronised?

Come on, lads. Forget the fables and Get real.

paul edwards
Still, we'd take all of 'em right now.

We'd certainly take Trueman right now for Yorkshire. What an abysmal shower!

Current location (optional) Dudley, West Midlands

Following the debacle at Edgbaston where - as at Cardiff - we were cruelly robbed of victory by your English weather, I propose that all future Ashes series should be played in Australia. In fact in Melbourne.

England could then be the home of all the silly, boring variants such as 20-20. These could be played between freelance teams with loyalty only to the highest payer. It seems to work in soccer - maybe Roman Abramovich could be appointed as the Czar of silly cricket while Melbourne will carry the torch of cricketing tradition and fair play. And we'd do it in a ground that seats 100,000 people and serve some of the best wine in the world - from a radius of less than 100km. Wouldn't it be luvverly?

Any Boycotts around in Yorkshire ? After last nights exibition by England a lot of the comments in the previous entries will need serious revision.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1943-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

Pray to the small gods we are never inflicted with another Boycott. Boycott never played for Yorkshire,England or any team. Boycott played only for Boycott.

After yesterdays effort you had better start praying Alec.At least we would have a five day test and a century from Boycott too!!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1943-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

Unless Jeff Thomson was bowling. Boycott never fancied him - missed out on a tour here and they had to send Cowdrey instead - at that time the great man weighed around 45 stone but still had plenty of ticker. I think Boycott said he was too busy - had to clean out his sock drawer or something.

I've suddenly lost interest in both England and Yorkshire cricket ! Even though I worked un Headingley until a couple of weeks ago. (Horsforth now)

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 48-64

Heck! Lost interest in Yorkshire cricket? What next? Lasses?

Current location (optional) leeds

Yeah, even Bradford City too! (I know the feeling well Brian)

Current location (optional) Dudley, West Midlands

At one time I used to say we would never beat the aussies unless there was a Yorkshireman in the team (which there hasnt been this series). But there is hardly one worth putting in. I guess it might be worth give Ryan Sidearse a try.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 48-64

Were you a slow developer, Brian?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

There has been some talk in this thread about off cumd uns playing for England, Australia, etc. I mentioned quite a while back that I lost interest in cricket when I learned that even though I am a Yorkshireman, I couldn't play for Yorkshire because I had the misfortune to have been born in London. I started to ponder on the state of Yorkshire Cricket, what is the status now that Yorkshire as such no longer officially exists, now that there are three Yorkshires and some bits have been ceded to Lancashire. Is there a Yorkshire County team or are there three teams?

I waited 10 seconds until the euphoria had subsided and then I penned these lines.

So sad for the Ozzie boys who put up such a gallant resistance.

They could try to be a little more lovable and then we wouldn’t be so triumphal.

It’s only a game chaps – only a game.

I find your restraint admirable,Terry.

Isn't the silence deafening? !!!!!

Deafening because I've been trekking through the Thai jungles while all this was happening. Yes, the better side won - pity it was a composite side with your best performnces (other than Broad) coming from South Africans. And the best of all from a South African umpire. The important thing is it was played in good spirit. Like this note

Pheew!

Hope you got someone to feed the cows while you were away, Paul.
Did you ask them to explain what is a "composite" side?

I'd love to know whether it includes umpires?

If it does, there are some big lessons to be learnt out there.

A composite side is one which comprises participants from more than one nation. Like Chelsea or any other football club. Or like the England cricket club, which somehow also managed to enlist the services of the world's worst umpire. Other than that, no worries at all. We're still in Thailand so will have to wait a few more days for a resume of events from my cows. As one is a Jersey and the other a Hereford, they're probably biased too!

A composite "herd"?

Paul, can you tell us where the 'Aussie' Andrew Symonds was born?

They didn't dare bring him over here for the Ashes in case he jumped ship - not that his aggressive style of sledging would have endeared him to the MCC or even EWCB.

Trevor: You'll note I said this earlier: 'Australia is by no means exempt from the practice of playing non-nationals.' In that posting I mentioned Wessels and could also have thrown in Symonds, who despite spending so long in Australia eventually showed his true national characteristics, so we had to 'let him go'.

I have not the slightest doubt that Terry will want the last word on this, but perhaps he should reflect that in this series the Poms' batting averages were topped by Trott, Strauss and Pietersen - all ring-ins. Still, only a game, innit?