KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mollie Sugden. RIPi

I guess we should also record the passing today of comedy actress Mollie Sugden at the age of 86. A former school mate of my mothers at Holycroft, she was also once engaged to our Head of Physics, Sam Riley. She became well known in the 50's as the mother of Jimmy Clitheroe in The Clitheroe Kid. later of course her most famous roles were in the Liver Birds and Are You Being Served

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Re: Mollie Sugden. RIPi

We shall not see her like again. What with all the talk about 'my pussy' on Are You Being Served she certainly knew how to stretch family viewing to the limit. Did Sam Riley ever marry. He seemed to have got engaged again later on at Oakbank GS to the deputy head.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1961-68

Current location (optional) Bradford

Sam did marry a good friend of my mother's, and had a son. Tragically, she died of a brain tumour, around 1966. He did become engaged to Miss Dale, who became joint deputy head when KBGS went comp, but it came to nowt. He eventually remarried, and left Oakbank to become deputy head of a comprehensive somewhere in Birmingham.

Sam, a lovely man, had a chequered tenure as form master of my 5th / 6th Form (1957 - 60). But on checking my report he made not a single comment 1957- 60 from which I could take either umbrage or comfort. Must have had Mollie's veterinary considerations to the fore. Me Mam and me Dad wondered why he said nowt about me despite my being in a lot of peoples' face.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Interested to see the quotes about Mollie, a very talented actress. The Daily Telegraph obit said her father "ran an iron and steel firm". Does anyone know which this was? I was also interested to hear she was a pupil (as I was)at Holycroft.The obit didn't mention this,of course, though it did mention she was educated at the Girls' Grammar School.It didn't mention that she was active in local amateur dramatics with the society which was known at the time, I believe, just as the "Keighley Amateurs".

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1940-48

Current location (optional) Epsom

IW. Does your reference, "but it came to nowt", apply to Sam's engagement or to the school?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958 - 65

Current location (optional) West Midlands

From what my late mother used to day Sam and Mollie became disengaged some time after Sam went to Oxford and Mollie to the Guildhall School.
Mum did confide that Sam once bought her some chocolates for a birthday present and came to her party.
(Her proper name was Mary Isobel Sugden, but was known as Mollie from a very early age)

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Sam Riley update. He retired to South Wales (St David's, possibly), and died a few years ago.

I'm saddened to learn of Sam's death, as he did a lot to inspire me to continue the subject beyond A-level. I've often wondered what became of him and whether or not he was still alive. A kindly gentleman who commanded respect through his purposeful approach.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958 - 65

Current location (optional) West Midlands