KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Harry Harpin's last resting place

"My name is Tom Bell (Jnr) & you may recall that I have contributed to the KBGS website previously about my father & about Harry Harpin.

I have recently returned from a holiday in Italy. During the time I was there I made a point of visiting Assisi & I managed to trace Harry's grave to pay my respects even though I never met him. I have attached a few photos that I took after tidying up his plot & placing some white roses there for him.

For the information of anyone else,-the cemetery where he is buried is a steep hill climb to the top of the town & then about three quarters of a mile along a beautiful flat tree-lined road on the side of Mount Subasio. His grave is just inside the Assisi Community cemetery gates on the right hand side."

See the photos on this page.

Re: Harry Harpin's last resting place

The white roses are a nice touch - well done Tom.

Thank you for that Tom. I certainly remember Harry Harpin with happy thoughts! He was a real nice man and a very popular teacher in my time.I will remember his grave when I visit Assisi. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

I thought his name was (as it is on his tombstone) Hildred and not Hilary. I never managed to establish much rapport with him, perhaps because I wasn't - in those days- terribly good at his subject. I wish I had since he was an interesting man but somewhat aloof and it doesn't surprise me he bacame a priest (this isn't an ant-Catholic remark since I myself am a Catholic but I've often noticed people of his rather withdrawn character become priests).

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1940-48

Current location (optional) Epsom

Of course you are correct Tom. It was Hildred not Hilary. Always 'Harry' to the lads!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk UK