KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Father's day

Father's day - a modern invention unheard of before the 70s?

Re: Father's day

Never heard of either Father's Day or for that matter Mother's Day before the 60's and cerainly not in the 40's. think it's one of those imports from America

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

Oops, I have just been corrected by my wife , she informs me they used to do things for Mother's day at Primary school in Leicestershire. Perhaps we boys in Yorkshire were not in tune with that sort of thing.

Slightly off thread but
"Mothering Sunday is a Christian festival celebrated throughout Europe. Secularly it is used as a celebration of motherhood, and is synonymous with Mother's Day as celebrated in other countries; the latter name is also increasingly used.
During the sixteenth century, people returned to their mother church for a service to be held on Laetare Sunday. This was either a large local church, or more often the nearest Cathedral. Anyone who did this was commonly said to have gone "a-mothering", although whether this preceded the term Mothering Sunday is unclear. It was often the only time that whole families could gather together, if prevented by conflicting working hours."

From the 1940s onwards, the local Keighley Sunday Schools held special services to which parents were invited.
Each child collected a Daffodil from the presiding Minister and presented it to their mother as part of the Mothering Sunday service.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1950-55

Current location (optional) Keighley

The Welsh Presbyterian chapel in Hoylake where I am organist, still does that daffodil ritual on Mothers Day, but hardly recognises Fathers Day (though I wasn't there yesterday)

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Surely Fathers' Day is nine months before Mothers'Day?

I've been told by some feminists that Father's Day is (are) all the other days of the year!!