KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Kly Tech. College and the future of the old K.B.G.S. building.

According to this weeks`K.N.there are 3 optional plans on display in the Airedale Shopping Centre-showing retail,offices,flats and a Hotel . People are asked to comment re- the future of the above Campus.
My opinion would be to flatten the lot and put up Bio -Domes. Inside have a Parkland setting--i.e. a maze type path with display boards-simply illustrated on each side showing the History of Kly-- a Pennine Town to the present. Obviously parking and a Tourist Shop would be included.
Originally I proposed this idea in the K.N.- "Letters to the Editor re- Damside Multi-Storey Car Park"
Naturally some wealthy individual would have to fund this "barmy"idea. Would they? Anyway this would really put Kly. on the "map"!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-1966

Current location (optional) Haworth

Re: Kly Tech. College and the future of the old K.B.G.S. building.

Does the nurse know you are out of bed again?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

Yes, I had a massive Brain Haemorrhage in`97 so I took your post with a bad taste in my mouth . However as you are so good in your posts perhaps in our efforts to "liven up " this`site.--What would be your ideas for developing the old K.B.G.S. site?

liven up"

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951966

Obliterate it, along with the rest of the town. I don't suppose there would be more than £4's worth of damage.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

Perhaps one should also consider "Passports" as well as obliteration!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-1966

Passports ??

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1960-1964

I would have thought there was some kind of Heritage overlay preventing demolition of the old Mechanics' Institute? Although Keighley is generally a god-awful place, the streetscapes in Cavendish Street and parts of North Street are quite interesting. It would be a shame to see the old building flattened but I suppose it's pretty useless the way it is.

Current location (optional) melbourne

Familiarity breeds contempt. I have a friend who is a student of Victorian architecture and he says there are "some real gems" in Keighley. When he talks me through the town I have to agree.
There is dross too - mostly '60 utilitarian rubbish - and this diverts attention from the best aspects of the town.
I'm not keen on John's idea of demolishing the whole site. Better to get rid of the newer bit by the square and rebuild it in a style more sympathetic to the old KBGS building. There are good examples of this approach around the country including a few in Leeds.
The bigger problem would be what to use it FOR.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) leeds

'Bout time we called HRH Prince of Wales if we want a real controversy - as long as he comes alone.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

In my opinion the the best thing to do with the old building is to demolish it. The main reason being that the removal of the frontage which is now out dated, and reproduction of the old institue would be beyond any reasonable cost.

Keighley is a great town but we need to remember the past but re-develop for the future.

Current location (optional) Lecturer. (At the new build).