KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Memories of First Day at K.B.G.S

Most posters will have clear memories of their first morning at K.B.G.S.Whenever I pass the "yard" on North St.I see the old green entrance gate."Stepping " into the K.B.G.S.experience 50 years ago is a memory I`m forever reminded about when I pass the school!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959 -1966

Current location (optional) Haworth

Re: Memories of First Day at K.B.G.S

Setting off for my first day at KBGS was daunting.
The first member of the family to make it to the Grammar School, dressed in a new outfit (Essentially in the School Blazer, grey flannels, School cap both the blazer and cap adorned with the BARRETT badge)from John Manners North Street.
School satchel and new shoes, purchased from W Hargreaves leather shop on Station Bridge.

With those oft repeated words ringing in my ears
"Look after your things, they all have your name in them" ( marked with the 'mandatory' embroidered sew-in labels, purchased in a roll of 25 )

I enjoyed that first day, because I had previously met two older boys who lived close by in Lawkholme Lane who told me "If you have any problems just mention our names!"

Many thanks to John Waddington Feather and George Dixon Feather for soothing those first day nerves !!!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1950-55

Current location (optional) KEIGHLEY

I may have told this story before. However it was the very first day, yea first lesson at KBGS, down in the bottom corridor (??B6) which was our 1A form room. Geography, with D K Vincent Firman !! 'My names Firman' , he said 'F-I-R-M-A-N' writing it on the board. 'Now I need to know yours' So we proceeded in turn to stand. 'Moate B R, Sir' etc.
Eventually it was Keith Sunderland. 'Next' yelled Vince. 'Sunderland K A' 'What!' shouted Vince. 'Sunderland K A' Then at full blast, scaring the living daylights out of us 'BOY! WHAT DO YOU SAY WHEN YOU SPEAK TO A MASTER ?????..... 'Sir Sunderland K A Sir !'
We were scared stiff of him for the rest of our time at KBGS. (last I knew Vince was still alive and kicking in Bridgnorth)

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

After assembly we spent a long time in the hall while (Deputy) Dick Cadman tried to tune us in to the challenges we would be facing. Then Gilbert came to brief us on the PE/Games routines. It was a big relief to be told which forms we were to join - as the Ingrow St Johns lot (Fearnside/ Burnett/ Dickinson et al) yattered on throughout the briefing and it was difficult to pick up the message. Along with some 20 odd others I was dispatched to Nobby Olive's form in Room 60 on the Cardboard Corridor in the company of Davids Collen and Thomas who had been contemporaries of mine through Eastwood and Parkwood Junior schools. Not a bad start to a nervy day.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60