KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
THE HOME GUARD, WW2

On the KDLHS site a new thread has been introduced regarding the Home Guard in WW2

I feel that a number of KBGS pupils and their kith and kin would have taken part in the protection of this country.

There are a number of photographs but the identification of the people featured thereon is lacking.

Can you assist ??
Knowing of the many posters who have memories that have been drag forward from their brain "core store", I feel that there will be some who can fill-in some of these blanks

http://keighleyhistory.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=miscellaneous&action=display&thread=676

Copy and paste the above to enter the days of yore

Main Forum address
http://keighleyhistory.proboards.com/index.cgi?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1950 / 55

Current location (optional) Keighley

Re: THE HOME GUARD, WW2

The Home Guard were, I believe, correctly called the Local Defence Volunteer (LDV). My father always refered to them as the "Look, Duck and Vanish". Whether this was borne of rivalry with the fire service (in which my father served) or whether it was a universally used term. I'm not sure.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) leeds

Shaun, perhaps your father knew my uncle, Arthur Felvus, who was Fire Chief at Keighley in the 50s

On 14th May, 1940, the Government broadcast a message asking for volunteers for the LDV (Local Defence Volunteers). On 23rd August, 1940, Winston Churchill changed the name of the LDV to the Home Guard.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1937-44

Current location (optional) Huntingdon

My dad had a reserved occupation at John Smiths (Kly) Ltd. He did, however, serve as a warden in the ARP. We had an "Air Raid Warden" plate screwed to our front door for several years beyond my starting to read. I have a group photo of the local ARP Wardens taken in Vic Park. Where should I offer it? I sent it to the Kly News but they have not used it.

The local History Society would welcome a photo Terry. Just email it to Jan. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

I recall my Father, who served in WW1 being involde in the Home Guard in Steeton. The had their HQ in the old Institute building, and I was a runner, taking post etc to the ROF, now the Airdale Hospital. I was actually issued with a khaki bike, miles too big but someone put wooden blocks on the pedals, OK if you had them right way up, if not, look out !!. I recall being on an exercise in Curra Wood (Spellin ?) and firing a .22. There was also a gun type thing called a Blacker Bombard, but I don't think they ever had ammo for it. There was a local grocer, a Mr Abult (?) who towed it behind his van, a bit like Jonesey !. Watching Dads Army now, I think the commedy series could be very tru to the facts.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1943-46 (roughly !)

Current location (optional) Pembrokeshire

P J (Taffy) Morgan, who was my Latin teacher at KBGS, was an officer in the Home Guard and occasionally turned up at school in his uniform. I don't recall any other masters being involved, but that is possibly because I didn't see them outside school hours as often as Taffy, who lived nearby.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1937-44

Current location (optional) Huntingdon

Of interest to all local historians

Just copy and paste and enjoy !!

http://keighleyhistory.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=events&action=display&thread=862

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1950/1955

I have also been taking an interest in that thread as my father and (maternal)grandfather were in the Home Guard. We cannot be sure but we think, in the photo on the second forum post (clearly taken at Keighley Cricket Ground), the guy on the back row second from right is my father, and the shortish Sergeant three from the left , second row up might be Arthur Clayton, my Grandfather. Trevor Pickles (later!) lived two doors from Grandfather, what do you think Trev ?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Regarding the posts about the H.G. my mothers`reminiscences are:-
Living at the top of F.L. at Wood View. This was one of the the bases of the K.H.G.
Bollards were placed on either side of Stell Hill @ every Sun. D`S Army marched to the farm field. With blackened faces from the"fire back" and reporting to the "table" in the shed time was spent in perfecting ones aim with smoke bombs- thus frightening the resident hens into the trees!
Afte all this the men stood to attention to return to K.
On one occasion the "Army" was taught how to to shoot. A stray bullet killed a cow just below Braithwaite!Across the valley."You stupid boy!"
On another occsion the Dr. was visiting W V.He said he felt like closing his eyes and driving through those who were playing at soldiers!
My deceased Gd. was put in charge of the stirrup pump for W.V. and the 3 bungalows opposite but one of the residents used it to wash the windows of all 4 residences .

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-1966

Current location (optional) Haworth

Quote from the KDLHS website
PILL BOXES STEETON with EASTBURN

From what little information I have of the site the Pill Boxes were constructed as part of the defences for a WW2 Munitions factory and the Cannon testing range that was attached to it. The main munitions factory buildings are still standing and are used as a warehouse/distribution depot for a national thermal clothing supplier. The Pill Boxes are located on farmland adjacent to the factory site, this farmland is designated as H2 land under the replacement UDP and as such has just been released for development. A developer has already submitted two sets of plans for the site, both of which show the removal of the single storey Pill Boxes. It is feared that this is also what will happen to the two storey box because according to the plans it will be located in the rear garden of one of the houses.
The only instructions from the local council were that if the boxes were to be removed they must be photographed and recorded.
With regard to having the boxes listed, I read all the relevant information that you suggested and noting that there are only 22 listed Pill Boxes in the whole country I don’t feel that they would be considered for listing. I have attached a site plan showing the boxes in their locations. Also included are a list of grid references and the relevant information regarding the planning application.

For all interested parties

THIS SUNDAY'S PHOTO OPPORTUNITY (Nov 22) WILL TAKE PLACE ON THE FARMLAND SITE AT 10 -30 am.
All Welcome !!

Just noticed the reference to the "Pill Boxes". As I am
not aquainted with the details , I assume the developer wants them out of the way. There was a chap a few years ago who advertised in the Farming press for any sites where these were still standing , I think he was keen to record them . At the time I sent him details of some I knew of in Lincolnshire. I do feel strongly that the these should be retained where they stand as they are part of the countries history and good luck to any of you who decide to do something about it .

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

There were approx 7 viewers/photographers and 12 "Dad's Army" in authentic uniforms plus 1 uniformed lady cadet.

An authentically dressed Home Guard Supporter (with WW2 vacuum flask, tin mug and shopping basket) was on hand but was countermanded for photograph taking in and around the 3 pill boxes.

The piece de resistance (sic) was a folding bicycle of the era , maintained and ridden with tender loving care !!

Photographs will appear shortly on the KDLHS web site.

Here's hoping the publicity being sought has the correct result !!

As suggested in an earlier posting, the following web address will provide images of the visit today,

Click on a thumbnail picture for larger view

http://s657.photobucket.com/albums/uu297/KeighleyHistory/Steeton-Pillboxes/Home%20Guard%20Visit%2022%20Nov%202009/?start=0

Taken by Andy Wade KDLHS